14-01-2013, 11:15 PM
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2013, 11:30 PM by Radio Fixer.)
I said "both a breeze with spray" but I should have said compared to FP. As Colin said, in an earlier post, aerosols do have a learning curve as well but its much less for cabinets like the two illustrated here.
Some expert once said "I only make it look easy" and thats true at first for aerosols. You can buy knowledge, there are plenty of books on just about everything, but experience can only be gained.
From the ones I've used, aerosols vary widely, get the right ones and used right, and the finish is good enough for most applications straight from the can. I dont buy that theres anything special about FP in terms of being more tactile, my best lacquer ones are equally so to me. As an example of 'straight from the can' the turntable cabinet above was only buffed out with #0000 wire wool and wax but is excellent even 6" away with reading glasses. It stands alongside a large cabinet that was rubbed out with pumice and rottenstone but does not look down market in comparison. Partly thats due to the smaller size. Also the way its viewed and the birch veneer used for the curved body. Birch is a particularly nice wood to refinsh.
Colin also said aerosols can be dangerous because of fumes and explosions, but with the right mask I cant even smell the ones I use when spraying. Believe me when I come out of the garage and shut the door, and remove the mask, its really powerful. The stink is against it if you try to do it in an indoor workshop but to me FP makes me equally sick and because it takes longer than a spray it was hard to wear a mask all of the time. You would have to be really daft to spray any lacquer near naked flames or even with an electric fire on. Dont do that and there wont be explosions and I must have used a 3 figure sum of cans by now. Once the lacquer is hard the of course the spray area can be ventilated. Warmth is needed so I wait for summer although prep can be done during the cold months but I never leave a cabinet anywhere other than indoors.
Gary
Some expert once said "I only make it look easy" and thats true at first for aerosols. You can buy knowledge, there are plenty of books on just about everything, but experience can only be gained.
From the ones I've used, aerosols vary widely, get the right ones and used right, and the finish is good enough for most applications straight from the can. I dont buy that theres anything special about FP in terms of being more tactile, my best lacquer ones are equally so to me. As an example of 'straight from the can' the turntable cabinet above was only buffed out with #0000 wire wool and wax but is excellent even 6" away with reading glasses. It stands alongside a large cabinet that was rubbed out with pumice and rottenstone but does not look down market in comparison. Partly thats due to the smaller size. Also the way its viewed and the birch veneer used for the curved body. Birch is a particularly nice wood to refinsh.
Colin also said aerosols can be dangerous because of fumes and explosions, but with the right mask I cant even smell the ones I use when spraying. Believe me when I come out of the garage and shut the door, and remove the mask, its really powerful. The stink is against it if you try to do it in an indoor workshop but to me FP makes me equally sick and because it takes longer than a spray it was hard to wear a mask all of the time. You would have to be really daft to spray any lacquer near naked flames or even with an electric fire on. Dont do that and there wont be explosions and I must have used a 3 figure sum of cans by now. Once the lacquer is hard the of course the spray area can be ventilated. Warmth is needed so I wait for summer although prep can be done during the cold months but I never leave a cabinet anywhere other than indoors.
Gary







