13-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi Raditechman
Yes it seems a bit complicated , hope this explains :-
My great grandmother had seven sons, the six eldest all went down the pit, my grandfather was the seventh and he became an engineer at Archibald Kendricks in West Bromwich, this was a saving grace for my great grandmother. I always thought it somewhat sad that this was the height of possible ambition for a mother just to keep one son from the pit. circa 1885
My father began work at Salters the spring balance manufacturers probably about 1916 at the age of 14 and later worked at the Bean car Company where he got the Spanish flue. One of my treasured assets are stories from the past, on my fathers side of the family, they were great story tellers of their social and family history. These tales are all from a poor working class background, as you know almost all history is from completely the other end of the social scale.
Hi Retired,
Well I do repair and restore and have a go at cabinets but I don't re-stuff wax caps etc.
I don't do french polishing I view this as a bit tricky but only if needed I rub cabinets right down and finish with a "wiping" polyurethane.
What happened to the bike??
Jim
Yes it seems a bit complicated , hope this explains :-
My great grandmother had seven sons, the six eldest all went down the pit, my grandfather was the seventh and he became an engineer at Archibald Kendricks in West Bromwich, this was a saving grace for my great grandmother. I always thought it somewhat sad that this was the height of possible ambition for a mother just to keep one son from the pit. circa 1885
My father began work at Salters the spring balance manufacturers probably about 1916 at the age of 14 and later worked at the Bean car Company where he got the Spanish flue. One of my treasured assets are stories from the past, on my fathers side of the family, they were great story tellers of their social and family history. These tales are all from a poor working class background, as you know almost all history is from completely the other end of the social scale.
Hi Retired,
Well I do repair and restore and have a go at cabinets but I don't re-stuff wax caps etc.
I don't do french polishing I view this as a bit tricky but only if needed I rub cabinets right down and finish with a "wiping" polyurethane.
What happened to the bike??
Jim






