30-12-2012, 05:05 PM
(29-12-2012, 09:55 AM)Yorkie Wrote: Re VAT/Import Duty on imports from non-EU countries such as Russia, I've bought stuff from there, China, USA and Oz and never been stung. (Rarely more than £30 or so). I forget the UK Customs rules, but up to a certain value, such imports are permitted without attracting duty. Much depends on how the sender describes the contents. EG, 'Small electronic components' etc.
Having got caught out a while ago buying a frequency display from the US, here is the definitive answer - Anything originating outside the EU over £15 attracts UK VAT. Anything over £135 will also attract import duty. And a further sting in the tail here is that if it's posted the Post Office will also charge an £8 admin fee. So in my case I had to pay £7.29 VAT + £8.00 Handling for a $50 kit. Still the kit works great
If the seller tells porkies about the value then you may be lucky especially if the parcel is small !!!!John







