11-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi,
I believe our local nut and bolt suppliers can supply things like circlips; engineering and plumbing suppliers also usually have a selection and it pays to visit taking the part along. I'm cheeky enough to pop into anywhere I think can help me and ask for help; most people will go out of their way to help someone who is genuinely stuck. Springs are another common item needed in small quantities. I always offer to pay but many times have been kindly given small items of little value.
Just to be different circlips are called Snap Rings in America although to be correct a snap ring doesn't have a hole at each end. The choice of retaining rings is bewildering.
http://www.smalley.com/retaining_rings/a..._rings.asp
I've just checked my stock of circlips but have nothing of this size or you could have had a couple with my compliments. I never throw old circlips away as long as they are undamaged.
If you know the exact shaft/spindle diameter then its possible to find the correct sized circlip by surfing the web; here is an example;
http://www.circlip.net/pdf/exter.pdf
Places like Screwfix sell kits of assorted circlips; springs and washers but for a one off this is expensive although for people like me into mechanical things these kits can prove useful. When David and I visit Rufforth Auto Jumble we have a huge choice of such things and it's amazing the amount of stainless steel fastenings on offer.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/circlips-steel...0pcs/17113#
Kind regards, Col.
I believe our local nut and bolt suppliers can supply things like circlips; engineering and plumbing suppliers also usually have a selection and it pays to visit taking the part along. I'm cheeky enough to pop into anywhere I think can help me and ask for help; most people will go out of their way to help someone who is genuinely stuck. Springs are another common item needed in small quantities. I always offer to pay but many times have been kindly given small items of little value.
Just to be different circlips are called Snap Rings in America although to be correct a snap ring doesn't have a hole at each end. The choice of retaining rings is bewildering.
http://www.smalley.com/retaining_rings/a..._rings.asp
I've just checked my stock of circlips but have nothing of this size or you could have had a couple with my compliments. I never throw old circlips away as long as they are undamaged.
If you know the exact shaft/spindle diameter then its possible to find the correct sized circlip by surfing the web; here is an example;
http://www.circlip.net/pdf/exter.pdf
Places like Screwfix sell kits of assorted circlips; springs and washers but for a one off this is expensive although for people like me into mechanical things these kits can prove useful. When David and I visit Rufforth Auto Jumble we have a huge choice of such things and it's amazing the amount of stainless steel fastenings on offer.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/circlips-steel...0pcs/17113#
Kind regards, Col.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







