01-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Most impressive Colin.
I downloaded EMS some years ago, furtled around with it and like other CAD packages, it's languished on my PC ever since. I've now downloaded the latest version, and EMS of course have a vested interest in making the software simple (as simple as such software can be) as it's primary aim is as an order form and pricing scheme for getting EMS to make custom parts in a wide range of materials. I mentioned to Colin yesterday that I'm tying to finalise a draft article for consideration by Carl Glover for the BVWS Bulletin on using a router and jigs to make replica radio backs. As luck would have it, most valve radios have identical slot sizes, shapes and spacings. I wanted to draw a simple sketch for the article and add dimensions to it. I faffed around for an hour or more using MS Paint to draw a minging sketch, which I'm sure could be done in a jiffy by a competent person to a much better standard. The sketch that Colin has drawn is in fact almost identical to a the back of a Wartime Civilian Receiver, and it just goes to show what can be accomplished by single minded determination. There are lots of youtube videos on using EMS, and I really must come up to speed with this great piece of free 2D/3D software.
My puny effort is attached – it might shame me into doing better!
Also, a pic is attached of a replica back for a WCR set I made on a router jig I designed, alongside an original back. (Label is courtesy of forum member Tony Thompson, ( AKA 'Aerodyne').
As can be seen, Colin’s sketch is almost identical to the WCR back.
I downloaded EMS some years ago, furtled around with it and like other CAD packages, it's languished on my PC ever since. I've now downloaded the latest version, and EMS of course have a vested interest in making the software simple (as simple as such software can be) as it's primary aim is as an order form and pricing scheme for getting EMS to make custom parts in a wide range of materials. I mentioned to Colin yesterday that I'm tying to finalise a draft article for consideration by Carl Glover for the BVWS Bulletin on using a router and jigs to make replica radio backs. As luck would have it, most valve radios have identical slot sizes, shapes and spacings. I wanted to draw a simple sketch for the article and add dimensions to it. I faffed around for an hour or more using MS Paint to draw a minging sketch, which I'm sure could be done in a jiffy by a competent person to a much better standard. The sketch that Colin has drawn is in fact almost identical to a the back of a Wartime Civilian Receiver, and it just goes to show what can be accomplished by single minded determination. There are lots of youtube videos on using EMS, and I really must come up to speed with this great piece of free 2D/3D software.
My puny effort is attached – it might shame me into doing better!

Also, a pic is attached of a replica back for a WCR set I made on a router jig I designed, alongside an original back. (Label is courtesy of forum member Tony Thompson, ( AKA 'Aerodyne').
As can be seen, Colin’s sketch is almost identical to the WCR back.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







