27-10-2012, 02:12 PM
(27-10-2012, 01:45 PM)Joe Wrote: . . it would still have been an AM-only radio so of little use and would have just been a bit more clutter.
O.K., so do I understand that you are only interested in sets that have A.M. and F.M. ? (Adding a B.F.O. to a radio such as a PCR is a trivial affair. In actual point of fact, an 'addition' as such can easily be averted by the simple mod. of making the last I.F. stage regenerative)
(27-10-2012, 01:45 PM)Joe Wrote: As Al has said, you need to know the theory and I don't. I'm OK on bog-standard post-War five valvers with a Trader sheet . . .
For that set, the level and amount of theory that is needed is the same as any Post-WW2 5-valver. Despite its appearance, that, in effect, is what the PCR really amounts to.
As for collecting data, etc., I well recall, in the days of my enthusiastic youth, when faced with a radio such as a '5-valver', of sitting down with pen and paper and deducing and drawing the entire circuit diagram. Yes, a lot of work and a lot of time, but you then get to develop a real feel for how such items are designed, assembled and how they work. A copy of the book 'Radio Valve Data' (Illiffe; later Butterworth, A.M. Ball) was an essential aid to that work.
Al.






