25-10-2012, 10:52 PM
David: I agree with your sentiments about replacing old and defective components: out with the old, in with the new; time bears all its old components away. Besides, today's new component will, with time, become tomorrow's treasured time-piece - well, in some circles, anyway. 
My 'take' on all of this is about the same as yours. First, this item was meant to be used. What do I need to do to it to make it safe to use? Secondly, if I am going to use it, then I want it to be reliable: I do not want to keep repairing / adjusting it. Thirdly, if I am going to use it, I want it to perform at least as well as the original design team intended - and that itself may mean some design changes, since any mass-produced item will have undergone some compromises to meet cost constraints. Finally, I do not want it to look scruffy and dirty, but on the other hand I will not expect it to grace the dining room and be in competition with the best porcelain and silver cutlery (a brief excursion into fantasy!).
Al.

My 'take' on all of this is about the same as yours. First, this item was meant to be used. What do I need to do to it to make it safe to use? Secondly, if I am going to use it, then I want it to be reliable: I do not want to keep repairing / adjusting it. Thirdly, if I am going to use it, I want it to perform at least as well as the original design team intended - and that itself may mean some design changes, since any mass-produced item will have undergone some compromises to meet cost constraints. Finally, I do not want it to look scruffy and dirty, but on the other hand I will not expect it to grace the dining room and be in competition with the best porcelain and silver cutlery (a brief excursion into fantasy!).
Al.






