06-10-2012, 07:10 AM
(05-10-2012, 04:12 PM)Yorkie Wrote: Oh dear I should have obliterated the nixie clock from view - it's the Mike Harrison one ('Mike's Electric Stuff') - the one without an isolating transformer! (We exchange e-mails about it back in May 2010, and the wisdom of using a couple of back to back transformers as a safety feature). I made it several years ago. I was given the tubes NIB - they're marked RS Made in the UK' (that's novel!) and their ID is 58633A. (I later got some clear XN3 ones for 50p each).
I'm fascinated by Nixies - back in 1976 I built a 200 MHz digital frequency counter using five of them, details of which are posted on the forum in the 'Homebrew' section.
Crikey - you're right - just checked - May 2010 we were talking about capacitor reforming and drifted onto nixie clocks. Mike himself admits that the design is lethal and nowadays he'd never publish something like that. He's a professional EE and makes amazing lighting rigs for bit stadia and art installations, e.g. he built this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8066061.stm
FWIW, I've still got boxes of those high voltage, low ESR RIFAs - fantastic for that ultimate PSU !
sıʌǝɹq ɐʇıʌ `ɐƃuol sɹɐ
ʞɔıu
ʞɔıu







