19-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Along with my wife Jennier, I visited Joe recently, and was delighted with the surprise gift of a pen that he gave me.
Pens look deceptively simple to make, but as with most things, there's rather more to them than meets the eye, and calls for precision work. This is particularly so when the wood is laminated, as was the pen that Joe presented me with. The candlestick and the two pens to the right of it are made from different contrasting timbers that Joe has laminated together then turned. The laminated joints are perfect. It's nothing short of remarkable that Joe has attained this level of skill so quickly, and is using a metalworking lathe not best suited to woodturning, with rudimentary tools until recently. The observant will notice that on the candlestick, Joe has embellished it with rings burnt into the wood with a burning wire, courtesy of Colin ('Retired').
Unlike most woodturned item which are put on a shelf and seen from several feet away, pens are picked up and handled regularly in front of our eyes, so any defects are only too apparent. All I can say is that I've been wooddturning for many years and am a Club competition judge, but I couldn't turn out pens which would surpass those that Joe has made. Just goes to show what can be achieved with enthusism, determination and ingenuity! I'm sure that Joe's school woodworking teacher from days of yore would be over the moon to know that the basic skills he taught Joe and his classmates have re-surfaced with a vengeance, decades later!
Pens look deceptively simple to make, but as with most things, there's rather more to them than meets the eye, and calls for precision work. This is particularly so when the wood is laminated, as was the pen that Joe presented me with. The candlestick and the two pens to the right of it are made from different contrasting timbers that Joe has laminated together then turned. The laminated joints are perfect. It's nothing short of remarkable that Joe has attained this level of skill so quickly, and is using a metalworking lathe not best suited to woodturning, with rudimentary tools until recently. The observant will notice that on the candlestick, Joe has embellished it with rings burnt into the wood with a burning wire, courtesy of Colin ('Retired').
Unlike most woodturned item which are put on a shelf and seen from several feet away, pens are picked up and handled regularly in front of our eyes, so any defects are only too apparent. All I can say is that I've been wooddturning for many years and am a Club competition judge, but I couldn't turn out pens which would surpass those that Joe has made. Just goes to show what can be achieved with enthusism, determination and ingenuity! I'm sure that Joe's school woodworking teacher from days of yore would be over the moon to know that the basic skills he taught Joe and his classmates have re-surfaced with a vengeance, decades later!
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







