10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi,
The general theme of the Triumph factory appeared old fashioned to me David. Lack of specialized kit right down to a torque wrench. The guy adjusting the tappets did it so casually and not a feeler gauge in sight? As you also noted David; the frame tube brazing left a lot to be desired but the method used was ancient and well proved and the frames never fell apart. Assembling frames using a forge in this manner must have been a very slow process and hardly cost effective. It's hard to believe the honing machines could achieve a tenth of a thou tolerance throughout the length of the bore whilst trying to maintain production targets. Credit to Triumph though for producing the films and their bikes ranked as some of the best available being long lasting and solid performers. I wish I had bought a 650cc Bonneville instead of my rubbish Norton 750cc Atlas. I've ridden many Triumph bikes but strangely enough never owned a Triumph; in 1973 a chum owned a Triumph Trident 750cc triple and I rode this a number of times finding it a capable bike.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1975-triumph-trident.htm
Watching the Triumph rocker boxes being fitted brings back happy memories of me trying to fit BSA A10 Golden Flash rocker boxes without the special tool (comb), even with the comb it was a difficult job aligning the push rods. Anyone else remember this?
I thought I was seeing things when I saw the BMW F650 pull into Rufforth car park because up to that point I had only ever known BMW to manufacture their "flat twins" so I was keen to have a closer look. There's a lot of information on these F650's on the web including a forum dedicated to them. I hadn't realized just how out of touch I had become regarding the biking scene as I packed bikes in when I married in 1976. The F650 has been around a while but I've not noticed one before possibly due to the fact that many modern bikes now look alike with their jazzy colours and fairings. I think we had the best BMW bikes David and I wouldn't even fancy a ride on one of these new ones.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/n...Slaunched/
Do you think Jennifer was trying to tell you something David by slipping "the next of kin" card into your pocket? Great pictures; thanks for sharing them.
I bought my first BMW R75/5 shown below in 1971 it being then a year old and after living on it for a year traded it in for a brand new clone this too being in Polaris Silver but with crash bars and full fairing etc. Both were outstanding bikes and pure delight to ride and own.
Kind regards, Col.
My first BMW R75/5.
The general theme of the Triumph factory appeared old fashioned to me David. Lack of specialized kit right down to a torque wrench. The guy adjusting the tappets did it so casually and not a feeler gauge in sight? As you also noted David; the frame tube brazing left a lot to be desired but the method used was ancient and well proved and the frames never fell apart. Assembling frames using a forge in this manner must have been a very slow process and hardly cost effective. It's hard to believe the honing machines could achieve a tenth of a thou tolerance throughout the length of the bore whilst trying to maintain production targets. Credit to Triumph though for producing the films and their bikes ranked as some of the best available being long lasting and solid performers. I wish I had bought a 650cc Bonneville instead of my rubbish Norton 750cc Atlas. I've ridden many Triumph bikes but strangely enough never owned a Triumph; in 1973 a chum owned a Triumph Trident 750cc triple and I rode this a number of times finding it a capable bike.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1975-triumph-trident.htm
Watching the Triumph rocker boxes being fitted brings back happy memories of me trying to fit BSA A10 Golden Flash rocker boxes without the special tool (comb), even with the comb it was a difficult job aligning the push rods. Anyone else remember this?
I thought I was seeing things when I saw the BMW F650 pull into Rufforth car park because up to that point I had only ever known BMW to manufacture their "flat twins" so I was keen to have a closer look. There's a lot of information on these F650's on the web including a forum dedicated to them. I hadn't realized just how out of touch I had become regarding the biking scene as I packed bikes in when I married in 1976. The F650 has been around a while but I've not noticed one before possibly due to the fact that many modern bikes now look alike with their jazzy colours and fairings. I think we had the best BMW bikes David and I wouldn't even fancy a ride on one of these new ones.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/n...Slaunched/
Do you think Jennifer was trying to tell you something David by slipping "the next of kin" card into your pocket? Great pictures; thanks for sharing them.
I bought my first BMW R75/5 shown below in 1971 it being then a year old and after living on it for a year traded it in for a brand new clone this too being in Polaris Silver but with crash bars and full fairing etc. Both were outstanding bikes and pure delight to ride and own.
Kind regards, Col.
My first BMW R75/5.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







