30-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes, you're right Alan -, I've only myself to blame.
Burn before reading - I'm just a whinging old fogey who expects a printer to print, which it does well enough on paper.
Annoyingly, none of the write-ups on printers that I've seen mention whether they have a transparency option, but when you look at the film they say 'select the transparency option in your printer set-up'. I think that what's happened over time is that originally people used paper flip charts, then OHP projectors took over, sometimes with people using felt-tip pens to make their own OHPs, then software such as 'Freelance Graphics' came along, and ink yet printers. Now, it tends to be Powerpoint presentations from a laptop, via a digital projector onto a screen. Hence, I guess that printer manufacturers consider OHPs to be obsolescent, if not obsolete, technology.
I was really happy with my HP printer, which was far more robust than the present offerings, but after more than 10,000 sheets it gave up the ghost. Today's printers seem much of a muchness - built down to a price rather than up to a standard, as a loss leader to try to use us as 'cash cows' for over-priced inks, but it's self-defeating, and ultimately unsuststainable to charge more for a set of OEM inks than the printer costs.
I saw an Epson SX325 three-in-one wi-fi ink-jet printer/canner/copier at Ryman's the other day - it was £35.00. Take off the VAT that leaves £29. The retailer wants a cut, as do everyone else from the factoy and in the suppy chain. They've got to get them half-way round the world from the factory in China, Indonesia or wherever. Of course, they come with half-empty cartridges, hoping that the customer will by a full set of OEM at £45, and wonder why they get alternative ones for a third of that price. It can't go on like that.
I guess it's become such a cut-throat and the technology so complex and changing by the day, that the makers just consider printers to be expendible. It certainly seems that way when I go to the local tip, and see them stacked alongside 40" flat screen TVs, hi-fi, compueters and what not.
Ho hum
Burn before reading - I'm just a whinging old fogey who expects a printer to print, which it does well enough on paper.
Annoyingly, none of the write-ups on printers that I've seen mention whether they have a transparency option, but when you look at the film they say 'select the transparency option in your printer set-up'. I think that what's happened over time is that originally people used paper flip charts, then OHP projectors took over, sometimes with people using felt-tip pens to make their own OHPs, then software such as 'Freelance Graphics' came along, and ink yet printers. Now, it tends to be Powerpoint presentations from a laptop, via a digital projector onto a screen. Hence, I guess that printer manufacturers consider OHPs to be obsolescent, if not obsolete, technology.
I was really happy with my HP printer, which was far more robust than the present offerings, but after more than 10,000 sheets it gave up the ghost. Today's printers seem much of a muchness - built down to a price rather than up to a standard, as a loss leader to try to use us as 'cash cows' for over-priced inks, but it's self-defeating, and ultimately unsuststainable to charge more for a set of OEM inks than the printer costs.
I saw an Epson SX325 three-in-one wi-fi ink-jet printer/canner/copier at Ryman's the other day - it was £35.00. Take off the VAT that leaves £29. The retailer wants a cut, as do everyone else from the factoy and in the suppy chain. They've got to get them half-way round the world from the factory in China, Indonesia or wherever. Of course, they come with half-empty cartridges, hoping that the customer will by a full set of OEM at £45, and wonder why they get alternative ones for a third of that price. It can't go on like that.
I guess it's become such a cut-throat and the technology so complex and changing by the day, that the makers just consider printers to be expendible. It certainly seems that way when I go to the local tip, and see them stacked alongside 40" flat screen TVs, hi-fi, compueters and what not.
Ho hum
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







