12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
My desk-top system is a 500MHz Celeron so I don't know how that fits into the scheme of things. That runs W98se and is fine for most things but struggles with the internet. I don't know if this is the processor, OS or the actual connection (despite having a USB 2 card in it only connects at 11mbs) but it manages the basics.
I'd be inclined to stick to XP as I've always followed the advise to use the oldest software that does what you want it to. My lap-top is a much more flashy thing with Vista on but it doesn't seem much quicker on simple tasks as the OS and other extras are just wasting the hardware's power. Put it like this: if I wanted to write you a letter, from a cold start I'd be typing "Dear Mark" quicker after pressing the power switch on my old machine than the new one; probably faster still on the old Amstrad.
As you say, horses for courses. I don't play games and have very little to do with video. My old system is basically a word processor cum over-grown i-Pod.
I have got a couple of other system boxes I've thought about doing up - they've both got duff hard disks - but don't really need them. It's always fun playing about though so I'll keep your offer in mind.
Cheers
Joe
I'd be inclined to stick to XP as I've always followed the advise to use the oldest software that does what you want it to. My lap-top is a much more flashy thing with Vista on but it doesn't seem much quicker on simple tasks as the OS and other extras are just wasting the hardware's power. Put it like this: if I wanted to write you a letter, from a cold start I'd be typing "Dear Mark" quicker after pressing the power switch on my old machine than the new one; probably faster still on the old Amstrad.
As you say, horses for courses. I don't play games and have very little to do with video. My old system is basically a word processor cum over-grown i-Pod.
I have got a couple of other system boxes I've thought about doing up - they've both got duff hard disks - but don't really need them. It's always fun playing about though so I'll keep your offer in mind.
Cheers
Joe






