05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
If you want to see what tat really looks like, take the back of a Robert's Revival if you dare to peep inside. When my son's went up in smoke, all for the want of a penny diode to prevent polarity reversal damage, I nearly had to reach for the bucket, considering that at the time, the Revival cost about £150. Puny little speaker, ill fitting MDF cabinet parts, cheapo SRBP PCB, using two chips for the 'radio' , one for the audio, and not much else. The volume control is mounted on a small SRBP panel with perforated holes at the edge where the panels were snapped apart during production.
By comparison, the Bush TR82/97 is a work of art, but let's face it, though the original series of the TR82 family was and is much loved, it too had its shortcomings - 'BUSH' logo made of plastic made to look like chromed metal, which loses its 'chrome', a dial that 'mists up' and back panels which were fragile at the edges and often wouldn't come off so were prised off at the edges, with inevitable damage to the back panel.
But then they were never meant to last as long as they have done, and are very easy sets to work on, albeit some joker at Bush decided to hide the detector diode inside an IF can! I recall when they came out, that it was quite a bold move as by then, the trend had been to smaller and smaller pocket sized (sometimes vest pocket sized) radios. However, there was a backlash against the 'tinny' sound of such radios, with their puny speakers, and the TR82C was the size and wight of of typical 4-valve portables which had by then gone out of fashion and off the market - Lady Margaret etc. The TR82C, with it's large speaker and tone control, was a welcome antidote to 'pocket radios.
Unlike old Roberts radio, (EG R200 etc), the TR82C does have a decent handle - not a flimsy leather strap which rots due to perspiration from palms of hands, or knob brights which fall off and get lost. Maybe it's my old ears, but I've got a TR82/97, and although I don't use it, it sounds quite respectable to me on all bands. But then my Pure Evoke DAB radio sounds fine to me too, despite many people denigrating DAB.
Yes, it must be me, I'm sure!
By comparison, the Bush TR82/97 is a work of art, but let's face it, though the original series of the TR82 family was and is much loved, it too had its shortcomings - 'BUSH' logo made of plastic made to look like chromed metal, which loses its 'chrome', a dial that 'mists up' and back panels which were fragile at the edges and often wouldn't come off so were prised off at the edges, with inevitable damage to the back panel.
But then they were never meant to last as long as they have done, and are very easy sets to work on, albeit some joker at Bush decided to hide the detector diode inside an IF can! I recall when they came out, that it was quite a bold move as by then, the trend had been to smaller and smaller pocket sized (sometimes vest pocket sized) radios. However, there was a backlash against the 'tinny' sound of such radios, with their puny speakers, and the TR82C was the size and wight of of typical 4-valve portables which had by then gone out of fashion and off the market - Lady Margaret etc. The TR82C, with it's large speaker and tone control, was a welcome antidote to 'pocket radios.
Unlike old Roberts radio, (EG R200 etc), the TR82C does have a decent handle - not a flimsy leather strap which rots due to perspiration from palms of hands, or knob brights which fall off and get lost. Maybe it's my old ears, but I've got a TR82/97, and although I don't use it, it sounds quite respectable to me on all bands. But then my Pure Evoke DAB radio sounds fine to me too, despite many people denigrating DAB.
Yes, it must be me, I'm sure!
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







