16-07-2012, 09:58 PM
(16-07-2012, 09:27 PM)Bushbaby Wrote: The cap was also a wee bit wet with oil and yes the light stayed on whilst the 'fizzing' was taking place. Can i replace with a 400v X2 (don't like the idea of not having a suppression cap).
Rob
The short answer Rob is 'yes'.
All domestic appliances which have motors (vacuum cleaners, electric drills, electric mowers, strimmers etc), have an X2 suppressor capacitor fitted to suppress noise interference on TVs, radios etc. This should not be confused with the modulation hum suppressor cap sometimes fitted on valve radios across the mains input, such as on DAC90As. That is to minimise hum on the radio - not to prevent the radio from emitting interference. Removing this cap on a radio will have no discernible effect on the radios performance. However, if you want to see what happens if you leave the cap off your sewing machine motor, switch the TV on with the motor running and observe the results on the screen, or try to listen to a radio.
Hope that helps a bit Rob.
As an aside, I noticed sewing machines in a department store recently, and was amazed at how cheap they are, given their versatility. Several were under £100.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







