14-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Looks in remarkably good condition John, and in its storage box!
As to the 'line cord' I think that most restorers tend to replace it with a capacitive dropper. Often - unlike yours - the line cords are not in good condition and have sometimes been cut short by people who don't appreciate that the line cord performs a vital function in reducing the mains voltage. I know that some restorers get rather alarmist about line cords, but if you think about it - apart from possible (probable?) deterioration with age, and perhaps the use of questionable insulation materials (asbestos?), a line cord is little different in principle from an electric blanket element.
That said, for me, safefty scores over originality every time, so personally, I'd go for the capacitive dropper arrangement, then you can fit a normal twin-core mains lead and plug.
Just my thoughts on the matter - others may see it differently.
As to the 'line cord' I think that most restorers tend to replace it with a capacitive dropper. Often - unlike yours - the line cords are not in good condition and have sometimes been cut short by people who don't appreciate that the line cord performs a vital function in reducing the mains voltage. I know that some restorers get rather alarmist about line cords, but if you think about it - apart from possible (probable?) deterioration with age, and perhaps the use of questionable insulation materials (asbestos?), a line cord is little different in principle from an electric blanket element.
That said, for me, safefty scores over originality every time, so personally, I'd go for the capacitive dropper arrangement, then you can fit a normal twin-core mains lead and plug.
Just my thoughts on the matter - others may see it differently.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







