11-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I think there's a natural tendency for people to gravitate to things that interest them, and which they seem to have a natural aptitude for. Many people could probably be good at lots of things if they had an interest, but aptitude without interest, or interest without aptitude leads to no useful outcome.
Most people tend to gravitate towards David Ricardo's principle of 'maximising your comparative advantage' and Adam Smith's concept of 'opportunity cost', both of which will be well known to anyone who has studied Economics, the basis of which is that it makes little sense for a surgeon to service his own car, except of course if he does it for a hobby, enjoys doing it and is good at it, but of course in opportunity cost terms, it will cost him far more to service the car himself than to pay a garage to do it for him.
See:
http://www.econlib.org/library/Topics/De...ntage.html
The 'opportunity cost' to me in writing this message is the lost opportunity to have been developing my woeful CAD skills. Basically, because I have more of an aptitude at being a blowhard waffling windbag than at being computer literate. I also have a tendency to dabble in lots of things, but to not get deeply involved in anything, but I'm happy in my own skin, and after all, that's what matters most in life!
Most people tend to gravitate towards David Ricardo's principle of 'maximising your comparative advantage' and Adam Smith's concept of 'opportunity cost', both of which will be well known to anyone who has studied Economics, the basis of which is that it makes little sense for a surgeon to service his own car, except of course if he does it for a hobby, enjoys doing it and is good at it, but of course in opportunity cost terms, it will cost him far more to service the car himself than to pay a garage to do it for him.
See:
http://www.econlib.org/library/Topics/De...ntage.html
The 'opportunity cost' to me in writing this message is the lost opportunity to have been developing my woeful CAD skills. Basically, because I have more of an aptitude at being a blowhard waffling windbag than at being computer literate. I also have a tendency to dabble in lots of things, but to not get deeply involved in anything, but I'm happy in my own skin, and after all, that's what matters most in life!

Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







