06-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi,
Many thanks David for your continued encouragement. As with all these kinds of project I take on I'm never sure of success. One thing that I always need though is to visualize the end result then I can break this down into small bites which then don't intimidate like the whole picture does.
I'm highly frustrated because the weather doesn't appear to understand the term “Summer”. I'm rained off and it's like working in a black hole again. I'm now making the door for the right hand base unit and when I cut two biscuit slots wrongly in the opposite side of one of the door stiles I knew it was time to call it a day; I did however make a new stile first. I've also glued Formica to the doors inner panel so next job will be to route the Formica flush with the panel then assemble the door.
Thank you Rob for your kind comments. I'm pleased I don't live too near you or it wouldn't be a case of replacing your shed; I think given the kit and lathes you keep collecting a warehouse will need building.
I wish the weather would give me a break as the desk is very near completion and a final push should do it. The pictures tell the story better than I can and even taking the pictures yesterday afternoon resulted in failure due to glare; the pictures shown were finally taken at bedtime last night with just the ceiling lights switched on. I love it when things come together after working for many hours; Bron is very impressed with the desk and to be honest surely I couldn't make something like this; it gives me a warm feeling every time I look at it which I confess is often.
Success in sight at last.
I've always enjoyed restoring a basket case woody radio cabinet but I also always felt I was following someone else who had originally designed then constructed the cabinet. I find a project such as this desk is much more satisfying on a personal level because such a project is mine from the very first idea until finally completed. I'm sure both John and Mark H are pleased with their respective desks because the design and construction of each is solely down to them and I hope this thread encourages others to have a go; three desks and three different approaches but all the desks are very functional and this is all that really matters.
I've spent some brass and not only on the desk materials; I've bought a new computer monitor to grace the new desk with; I couldn't see my old steam powered Compaq CRT monitor blending in well with the new desk and as I want to buy a new computer later on in the year decided now was the time to buy the monitor. The monitor I chose is a 23” model and has excellent reviews whilst not bankrupting me; I'm waiting for it to arrive but it has been despatched to me.
http://www.ebuyer.com/284103-lg-ips235v-...35v-bn-aek
My current Compaq MV720 was the first I ever bought and it has served me without fault for the last 14 years. I always thought it to be a 17” model but I've just measured it and it is only 16” (Diagonal). I'm sure I'll notice a difference with the new LG and hope it serves me as long and as well as the Compaq.
It's time I designed and made the handles or knobs for the desk drawers and door and I want them to look the part; another little problem to resolve but an interesting one.
Kind regards, Col.
Many thanks David for your continued encouragement. As with all these kinds of project I take on I'm never sure of success. One thing that I always need though is to visualize the end result then I can break this down into small bites which then don't intimidate like the whole picture does.
I'm highly frustrated because the weather doesn't appear to understand the term “Summer”. I'm rained off and it's like working in a black hole again. I'm now making the door for the right hand base unit and when I cut two biscuit slots wrongly in the opposite side of one of the door stiles I knew it was time to call it a day; I did however make a new stile first. I've also glued Formica to the doors inner panel so next job will be to route the Formica flush with the panel then assemble the door.
Thank you Rob for your kind comments. I'm pleased I don't live too near you or it wouldn't be a case of replacing your shed; I think given the kit and lathes you keep collecting a warehouse will need building.
I wish the weather would give me a break as the desk is very near completion and a final push should do it. The pictures tell the story better than I can and even taking the pictures yesterday afternoon resulted in failure due to glare; the pictures shown were finally taken at bedtime last night with just the ceiling lights switched on. I love it when things come together after working for many hours; Bron is very impressed with the desk and to be honest surely I couldn't make something like this; it gives me a warm feeling every time I look at it which I confess is often.
Success in sight at last.
I've always enjoyed restoring a basket case woody radio cabinet but I also always felt I was following someone else who had originally designed then constructed the cabinet. I find a project such as this desk is much more satisfying on a personal level because such a project is mine from the very first idea until finally completed. I'm sure both John and Mark H are pleased with their respective desks because the design and construction of each is solely down to them and I hope this thread encourages others to have a go; three desks and three different approaches but all the desks are very functional and this is all that really matters.
I've spent some brass and not only on the desk materials; I've bought a new computer monitor to grace the new desk with; I couldn't see my old steam powered Compaq CRT monitor blending in well with the new desk and as I want to buy a new computer later on in the year decided now was the time to buy the monitor. The monitor I chose is a 23” model and has excellent reviews whilst not bankrupting me; I'm waiting for it to arrive but it has been despatched to me.
http://www.ebuyer.com/284103-lg-ips235v-...35v-bn-aek
My current Compaq MV720 was the first I ever bought and it has served me without fault for the last 14 years. I always thought it to be a 17” model but I've just measured it and it is only 16” (Diagonal). I'm sure I'll notice a difference with the new LG and hope it serves me as long and as well as the Compaq.
It's time I designed and made the handles or knobs for the desk drawers and door and I want them to look the part; another little problem to resolve but an interesting one.
Kind regards, Col.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







