31-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for reading the post Mark, and for your comments.
There's a slug at the top, and one at the bottom of the coil so in fact all the coils are subject to slug tuning. (No doubt they've been twiddled with). If you look at the circuit, as shown you'll see that the twin gang wavechange switch is open circuit, so both the upper and lower coils are in series to give maximum inductance to tune the LW band, but when the wavechange switch is closed, it shorts out the lower coil, thus reducing the inductance to tune the MW band. The other coil is the coupling coil, but the puzzle is: which coil is which?
I think I may check the resistance of the three windings on the aerial coil, because logically they'll have similar resistances to the oscillator coil. I can then wire the oscillator coil in the same configuration. I got so annoyed that some numpty had butchered the coil that the red mist came up and I reached my frustration threshold, so I shut the workshop door on it before I started hyperventilating
I've warned this radio in no uncertain Basil Fawlty terms that unless it bursts into life and starts behaving, I'm not going to make a back for it, but I'm not convinced that it's listening.
Oh well, I'll have my happy face on tomorrow, and on Saturday I'll be hooking up with Colin at Rufforth Autojumble at York to have a good rummage around.
There's a slug at the top, and one at the bottom of the coil so in fact all the coils are subject to slug tuning. (No doubt they've been twiddled with). If you look at the circuit, as shown you'll see that the twin gang wavechange switch is open circuit, so both the upper and lower coils are in series to give maximum inductance to tune the LW band, but when the wavechange switch is closed, it shorts out the lower coil, thus reducing the inductance to tune the MW band. The other coil is the coupling coil, but the puzzle is: which coil is which?
I think I may check the resistance of the three windings on the aerial coil, because logically they'll have similar resistances to the oscillator coil. I can then wire the oscillator coil in the same configuration. I got so annoyed that some numpty had butchered the coil that the red mist came up and I reached my frustration threshold, so I shut the workshop door on it before I started hyperventilating

I've warned this radio in no uncertain Basil Fawlty terms that unless it bursts into life and starts behaving, I'm not going to make a back for it, but I'm not convinced that it's listening.
Oh well, I'll have my happy face on tomorrow, and on Saturday I'll be hooking up with Colin at Rufforth Autojumble at York to have a good rummage around.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







