29-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Ed Dinning's your man Rob - hopefully he'll spot your post and respond.
If there's any signs of recent damp, I'd be inclined to stick it in the airing cupboard (with Angie's permission of course!) for a week or so to make sure it's well dried out. I don't think it matters if the laminations are rusty - all the iron in the core is there. As to green spot corrosion, I guess it's always a possibility, but that tends to be more of an issue with high resistance headphones, field coils of mains energised speakers, vintage inter-valve transformers, etc, all of which use very fine wire - about 48SWG. Even mains transformer primary windings tend to be thicker gauge than that.
Have fun!
If there's any signs of recent damp, I'd be inclined to stick it in the airing cupboard (with Angie's permission of course!) for a week or so to make sure it's well dried out. I don't think it matters if the laminations are rusty - all the iron in the core is there. As to green spot corrosion, I guess it's always a possibility, but that tends to be more of an issue with high resistance headphones, field coils of mains energised speakers, vintage inter-valve transformers, etc, all of which use very fine wire - about 48SWG. Even mains transformer primary windings tend to be thicker gauge than that.
Have fun!
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







