23-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi,
Many thanks for your continued encouragement David; it is much appreciated.
Yes David; a biscuit joiner is a handy bit of kit and a power tool that isn't in constant use but boy it is useful when needed as in this desk project and I'm making good use of it.
Progress is steady but with each session I can see where I've been. We had a friend visiting us yesterday so I only managed a couple of hours in the garage but I did some useful work making the two top side panels and the two inner drawer dividers. The two outer panels needed to be laminated with the Formica then the oak ends fitting. The two inner panels are merely MDF with a single oak end each. The two end panels are full width but the two inner panels are shorter as I'm adding a recess to accept the supply sockets and plugs; extra depth is allowed for cable storage; this will become clear later in the project.
Routing Formica and top side panel components.
First job today was to visit the timber yard again for a single length of softwood; this will form the back of the recess for the electricals. I thought I would get cracking early and set off just after 8 o'clock this morning; this was a mistake as the roads were extremely busy so obtaining this bit of timber took an hour.
It's been a scorcher weather wise and I've enjoyed a few happy hours working on the desk. Even with a biscuit joiner I found it took ages sorting out how to cut the slots and the first three were cut wrongly but these are under the top panel so no harm was done other than to annoy myself.
Top sides and drawer dividers and new drawer compartments under-way.
The ends and drawer dividers are now fully installed and next job will be to cut the biscuit joints and add the lower oak frame; I thought I would be heading for disaster trying to cut all the slots whilst the pieces were loose and flat on the bench; I've been caught out too many times trying to speed such a job up so a bit extra time won't hurt.
Kind regards, Col.
Many thanks for your continued encouragement David; it is much appreciated.
Yes David; a biscuit joiner is a handy bit of kit and a power tool that isn't in constant use but boy it is useful when needed as in this desk project and I'm making good use of it.
Progress is steady but with each session I can see where I've been. We had a friend visiting us yesterday so I only managed a couple of hours in the garage but I did some useful work making the two top side panels and the two inner drawer dividers. The two outer panels needed to be laminated with the Formica then the oak ends fitting. The two inner panels are merely MDF with a single oak end each. The two end panels are full width but the two inner panels are shorter as I'm adding a recess to accept the supply sockets and plugs; extra depth is allowed for cable storage; this will become clear later in the project.
Routing Formica and top side panel components.
First job today was to visit the timber yard again for a single length of softwood; this will form the back of the recess for the electricals. I thought I would get cracking early and set off just after 8 o'clock this morning; this was a mistake as the roads were extremely busy so obtaining this bit of timber took an hour.
It's been a scorcher weather wise and I've enjoyed a few happy hours working on the desk. Even with a biscuit joiner I found it took ages sorting out how to cut the slots and the first three were cut wrongly but these are under the top panel so no harm was done other than to annoy myself.
Top sides and drawer dividers and new drawer compartments under-way.
The ends and drawer dividers are now fully installed and next job will be to cut the biscuit joints and add the lower oak frame; I thought I would be heading for disaster trying to cut all the slots whilst the pieces were loose and flat on the bench; I've been caught out too many times trying to speed such a job up so a bit extra time won't hurt.
Kind regards, Col.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







