20-05-2012, 07:34 PM
That's right Joe, the sides were indeed unpadded...
Heat from a hair drier sometimes helps, but to be honest, once you start peeling it back it normally doesn't put up too much of a fight. A decorator's scraper helps. I use normal PVA afterwards - it helps if it's old stock so that it doesn't take too long to set - personally I like to have it set while the thing is still in my hands. Some people clamp them up and leave them overnight, but you can't see the results (especially corners) if you do that. Waiting for the glue to grip sufficiently is what takes the time, but make the most of the "open time". Once it's gripping by itself, and you're happy with the positioning of everything, that's the time to clamp or weigh it down. Preferably the latter...
Sorry to "brain-dump" - I'm in a rush, as I'm just about to hit the motorway for another trip to Manchester
Cheer,
Mark
Heat from a hair drier sometimes helps, but to be honest, once you start peeling it back it normally doesn't put up too much of a fight. A decorator's scraper helps. I use normal PVA afterwards - it helps if it's old stock so that it doesn't take too long to set - personally I like to have it set while the thing is still in my hands. Some people clamp them up and leave them overnight, but you can't see the results (especially corners) if you do that. Waiting for the glue to grip sufficiently is what takes the time, but make the most of the "open time". Once it's gripping by itself, and you're happy with the positioning of everything, that's the time to clamp or weigh it down. Preferably the latter...
Sorry to "brain-dump" - I'm in a rush, as I'm just about to hit the motorway for another trip to Manchester

Cheer,
Mark







