19-05-2012, 11:12 AM
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2012, 01:05 PM by Wage Slave.)
Horrible stuff. There is so little metal to work with that any mechanical method just shredded the wire. As I said burning it off with lighter followed by IPA clean up did work but it still didn't solder at all well.
I was left wondering why I bothered when a new set is so cheap from China but you know what it's like once you get started on a repair and you don't want to let it beat you.
The manufacturer seemed to have got it to solder fairly well so there must be a chemical stripper of something you can use.
Edit to add: It's this stuff and there is a reason for it. There should be an effective way of stripping the damn stuff though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire
I was left wondering why I bothered when a new set is so cheap from China but you know what it's like once you get started on a repair and you don't want to let it beat you.
The manufacturer seemed to have got it to solder fairly well so there must be a chemical stripper of something you can use.
Edit to add: It's this stuff and there is a reason for it. There should be an effective way of stripping the damn stuff though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire






