17-05-2012, 10:43 AM
I've finally finished this.
Of the remaining five capacitors two were leaking badly, two were iffy and one may have been OK but wasn't perfect. As my AVO Test Bridge only tests at 100V, and they were stone cold at the time, I changed the lot. The proof of the pudding was in the eating as it made a huge difference to the sound quality and volume, in fact I'd say it's the best performing of the three DAC90as I have.
As that will annoy The Boss Man it seemed only fair to irk The Fiddler too so I changed the lamp shunt as well. The original was 75 ohms but was only reading 62 ohms.
I initially tried a 100 ohm one but this didn't seem to make much difference so I fitted a 180 ohm and that is very nice. The lamps are still dim but produce a friendly orange glow.
The other thing which is obviously 'wrong' with this set is the perspex trims from around the knobs are missing. There's nothing remaining of them, not even old glue, but I prefer the look of the knobs without this adornment so will not be looking to replace them.
I've finally managed to get a photo in decent light:-
All told it's turned out very well indeed.
- Joe
Of the remaining five capacitors two were leaking badly, two were iffy and one may have been OK but wasn't perfect. As my AVO Test Bridge only tests at 100V, and they were stone cold at the time, I changed the lot. The proof of the pudding was in the eating as it made a huge difference to the sound quality and volume, in fact I'd say it's the best performing of the three DAC90as I have.
As that will annoy The Boss Man it seemed only fair to irk The Fiddler too so I changed the lamp shunt as well. The original was 75 ohms but was only reading 62 ohms.
I initially tried a 100 ohm one but this didn't seem to make much difference so I fitted a 180 ohm and that is very nice. The lamps are still dim but produce a friendly orange glow.
The other thing which is obviously 'wrong' with this set is the perspex trims from around the knobs are missing. There's nothing remaining of them, not even old glue, but I prefer the look of the knobs without this adornment so will not be looking to replace them.
I've finally managed to get a photo in decent light:-
All told it's turned out very well indeed.
- Joe






