13-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi,
Thanks Wage Slave. Once the temperature drops to 7 degrees C then standard tyre rubber begins to harden and in icy conditions these tyres just can't cope. Winter tyres are made of a softer rubber compound which remains soft even in icy conditions and the rubber also contains silica to aid grip. Out of interest what winter tyres do you run on as the reviews I read gave comparisons?
I believe winter tyres wear more quickly than standard tyres otherwise I would leave mine on all year round. Running with the Avon Ice Touring Pattern winter tyres fitted I didn't notice any difference in road noise but the car handled differently and these tyres gave more grip even in normal driving conditions. One thing I did notice was that with standard tyres fitted I could easily induce wheel-spin on one of the front driving wheels of our Aygo during acceleration from rest but this was much reduced with the winter tyres fitted.
Well done Paula in forecasting a milder winter; I fitted the winter tyres in November and the worst snowfall all around us was only about 4" deep; I felt really miffed because the only snow we had here on the valley side was about 1" deep like a coat of icing sugar.
What do you think next winter will be like Paula; will I need to fit the winter tyres?
Kind regards, Col.
Thanks Wage Slave. Once the temperature drops to 7 degrees C then standard tyre rubber begins to harden and in icy conditions these tyres just can't cope. Winter tyres are made of a softer rubber compound which remains soft even in icy conditions and the rubber also contains silica to aid grip. Out of interest what winter tyres do you run on as the reviews I read gave comparisons?
I believe winter tyres wear more quickly than standard tyres otherwise I would leave mine on all year round. Running with the Avon Ice Touring Pattern winter tyres fitted I didn't notice any difference in road noise but the car handled differently and these tyres gave more grip even in normal driving conditions. One thing I did notice was that with standard tyres fitted I could easily induce wheel-spin on one of the front driving wheels of our Aygo during acceleration from rest but this was much reduced with the winter tyres fitted.
Well done Paula in forecasting a milder winter; I fitted the winter tyres in November and the worst snowfall all around us was only about 4" deep; I felt really miffed because the only snow we had here on the valley side was about 1" deep like a coat of icing sugar.
What do you think next winter will be like Paula; will I need to fit the winter tyres?
Kind regards, Col.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







