07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I've put it back together to give it a better run:-
I'm not calling it finished yet as for one thing I want to up the dial lamp shunt a bit. I've also fallen victim to horizontal gravity again. One of the bits of Bakelite into which the chassis retaining screws go has snapped off. There had been an attempt at gluing that back so I spent some time cleaning it up but now can't find it. Besides that more polishing won't go amiss.
I've changed all the valves one at a time and, apart from the rectifier and output ones, these swaps made no difference. It's certainly loud enough, in fact my other brown one is too loud.
I think the AF alignment may be a smidge out as the stations aren't in quite the right place.
It's certainly been fun and I agree that not just going mad with the side-cutters teaches you more; the two bypass caps I have changed were tested after looking at the diagram so I must be getting SOME idea what I'm up to.
- Joe
I'm not calling it finished yet as for one thing I want to up the dial lamp shunt a bit. I've also fallen victim to horizontal gravity again. One of the bits of Bakelite into which the chassis retaining screws go has snapped off. There had been an attempt at gluing that back so I spent some time cleaning it up but now can't find it. Besides that more polishing won't go amiss.
I've changed all the valves one at a time and, apart from the rectifier and output ones, these swaps made no difference. It's certainly loud enough, in fact my other brown one is too loud.
I think the AF alignment may be a smidge out as the stations aren't in quite the right place.
It's certainly been fun and I agree that not just going mad with the side-cutters teaches you more; the two bypass caps I have changed were tested after looking at the diagram so I must be getting SOME idea what I'm up to.

- Joe






