06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I've done a bit more this morning.
When I was dusting the worst of the muck off the aerial coil started to fall off the former so first thing was to put some shellac on that.
I then washed the case and have done the re-wiring. The photo shows the light-box half cleaned to show the contrast.
For once I think I'll give the old caps the benefit of the doubt for a while, I've no plans on selling this set so if it goes wrong in the future it won't be a problem.
For the same reason it can keep it's deadly mains connector - if I were selling it I'd either hard-wire the flex or fit an IEC connector. I suppose the detachable things do have the advantage of making sure that it can't be jammed tight to a wall so it will always get some ventilation.
I too had noticed how dark the top bit of the dropper is and had expected it to be o/c and then somebody had re-set the voltage selector to by-pass the damaged bit.
More after dinner.
- Joe
When I was dusting the worst of the muck off the aerial coil started to fall off the former so first thing was to put some shellac on that.
I then washed the case and have done the re-wiring. The photo shows the light-box half cleaned to show the contrast.
For once I think I'll give the old caps the benefit of the doubt for a while, I've no plans on selling this set so if it goes wrong in the future it won't be a problem.
For the same reason it can keep it's deadly mains connector - if I were selling it I'd either hard-wire the flex or fit an IEC connector. I suppose the detachable things do have the advantage of making sure that it can't be jammed tight to a wall so it will always get some ventilation.
I too had noticed how dark the top bit of the dropper is and had expected it to be o/c and then somebody had re-set the voltage selector to by-pass the damaged bit.
More after dinner.
- Joe






