01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi,
Many thanks for your kind words but I know you to be a top class craftsman Tony never accepting second best.
I'm surprised to hear your doors were no good after only three years Tony; this must be some kind of record. Its a big job painting the top and bottom edges of doors as the door really needs removing to do a good job; unfortunately given our poor climate the two edges are seldom painted/sealed hence they absorb water readily.
It was high summer here yesterday with 17 degrees so I quickly glossed the new panel inside and out making it more presentable. This morning it's back to around 7 degrees and wet. I've already visited the garage four times and got wet eight times; on one of the visits I took along a wood screw that I needed to match up; whilst comparing I dropped the screw and gave it up as a bad job as the screw will never be seen again; it disappeared into the black hole under the bench. I brought a selection of boxes of screws up into the bungalow with me. These will be needed tomorrow when a new hall carpet is fitted.
Its amazing how much work and time is needed just to complete a small job such as fitting a door panel; I'm pleased I don't have to get someone in.
The next door job will be re-painting the garage doors. I made these side hung doors a few years ago and at the time bought a 2.5ltr tin of Johnstone's charcoal undercoat. When I tried to apply this undercoat by brush it immediately dried preventing it being brushed out making a right mess of the job. I put the paint away and burned the door off applying another brand of paint bought locally in order to complete the job. Assuming I can get a day without wind; hail; frost or rain again this year I have a plan of action. I'll mask the garage doors and thin this wayward paint and blow it on with the compressor and spray gun; it can then dry as quickly as it wants to hopefully allowing me to apply the gloss in the same way.
I constantly moan about the weather but deep down I enjoy doing all these jobs/projects regarding them as a pleasure and not a chore.
Kind regards, Col.
Many thanks for your kind words but I know you to be a top class craftsman Tony never accepting second best.
I'm surprised to hear your doors were no good after only three years Tony; this must be some kind of record. Its a big job painting the top and bottom edges of doors as the door really needs removing to do a good job; unfortunately given our poor climate the two edges are seldom painted/sealed hence they absorb water readily.
It was high summer here yesterday with 17 degrees so I quickly glossed the new panel inside and out making it more presentable. This morning it's back to around 7 degrees and wet. I've already visited the garage four times and got wet eight times; on one of the visits I took along a wood screw that I needed to match up; whilst comparing I dropped the screw and gave it up as a bad job as the screw will never be seen again; it disappeared into the black hole under the bench. I brought a selection of boxes of screws up into the bungalow with me. These will be needed tomorrow when a new hall carpet is fitted.
Its amazing how much work and time is needed just to complete a small job such as fitting a door panel; I'm pleased I don't have to get someone in.
The next door job will be re-painting the garage doors. I made these side hung doors a few years ago and at the time bought a 2.5ltr tin of Johnstone's charcoal undercoat. When I tried to apply this undercoat by brush it immediately dried preventing it being brushed out making a right mess of the job. I put the paint away and burned the door off applying another brand of paint bought locally in order to complete the job. Assuming I can get a day without wind; hail; frost or rain again this year I have a plan of action. I'll mask the garage doors and thin this wayward paint and blow it on with the compressor and spray gun; it can then dry as quickly as it wants to hopefully allowing me to apply the gloss in the same way.
I constantly moan about the weather but deep down I enjoy doing all these jobs/projects regarding them as a pleasure and not a chore.
Kind regards, Col.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







