27-04-2012, 07:43 PM
The info from the dial is intreresting from a dating point ..
Others have commented on the similarity of the Graves sets to contemporary Plessy made chassis. The lack of actual manufacturing information seems to indicate they were more an assembler of modules into cases (after about 1932) than a full on from scratch maker.
I find it funny that nobody has done a full on investigation of the make as they were right there at the dawn of broadcast radio. I doubt any other "large" maker from the 20's is as little documented and little known, with so few known survivals from a company who must have sold many thousands on the "never never". It's even hard to put a definitive name to a found example in many cases as they seem to have put various chassis in various cases, no doubt going on what they had around.
I get the feeling this late 40's example is something put together to use up the stock chassis and cases which were lurking after the war. The innards will be very revealing.. what valves are lurking in there?
Others have commented on the similarity of the Graves sets to contemporary Plessy made chassis. The lack of actual manufacturing information seems to indicate they were more an assembler of modules into cases (after about 1932) than a full on from scratch maker.
I find it funny that nobody has done a full on investigation of the make as they were right there at the dawn of broadcast radio. I doubt any other "large" maker from the 20's is as little documented and little known, with so few known survivals from a company who must have sold many thousands on the "never never". It's even hard to put a definitive name to a found example in many cases as they seem to have put various chassis in various cases, no doubt going on what they had around.
I get the feeling this late 40's example is something put together to use up the stock chassis and cases which were lurking after the war. The innards will be very revealing.. what valves are lurking in there?






