21-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Graves are a very interesting company.
I'm really doubting the brand survived after cease of hostilities. I did a vast amount of research (I am one of the few who can claim one time membership of the Graves Owners Club) and they are documented up until the start of the war, but as JG died in July 1945 it seems the company died with him as any sort of manufacturer. There is no trace of any radio manufacture after 1945. It is possible some were put together from stocked parts just after the war by "surplus" buyers, but no evidence of Graves manufacture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30120216@N0...otostream/
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._G._Graves
And I KNOW one member will find this a very interesting link.. Graves sold branded lathes too!!! http://www.lathes.co.uk/graves/
And for anybody who REALLY wants to search.. You could almost have a completely Graves branded home, including the bricks and slates.. Motorbikes and bicycles, railway bits and engineering tools (clocks and silverware are well known, clothing.. what didn't they sell??)..
A couple of oddities turn up though showing the company lived on doing it's mail order business into the early 60's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shefflibrar...enfifties/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shefflibrar...enfifties/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shefflibraries/6812234591/
It's almost impossible to tell a 1939 set from a 1946 one without dated documentation, unless it's a completely new design.. Graves seem to have left very little, especially strange when you consider it's impossible to visit Sheffield and not come across the name!!!
Don't know about anybody else.. but I would say the styling there is 100% 1930's Whats the date on the main smoothing cap?.. probably changed.. Mine had one from 1946 fitted. Mark R found the quality of Graves sets last year. A re-cap of a complete basket case and it just worked.. original Mullard Golds too.. very nice. We are seeing a few more turning up now as people realise they are very good quality, and far more scarce and interesting than the 2 a penny DAC90 that for some reason everybody seems to want.
I'm really doubting the brand survived after cease of hostilities. I did a vast amount of research (I am one of the few who can claim one time membership of the Graves Owners Club) and they are documented up until the start of the war, but as JG died in July 1945 it seems the company died with him as any sort of manufacturer. There is no trace of any radio manufacture after 1945. It is possible some were put together from stocked parts just after the war by "surplus" buyers, but no evidence of Graves manufacture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30120216@N0...otostream/
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._G._Graves
And I KNOW one member will find this a very interesting link.. Graves sold branded lathes too!!! http://www.lathes.co.uk/graves/
And for anybody who REALLY wants to search.. You could almost have a completely Graves branded home, including the bricks and slates.. Motorbikes and bicycles, railway bits and engineering tools (clocks and silverware are well known, clothing.. what didn't they sell??)..
A couple of oddities turn up though showing the company lived on doing it's mail order business into the early 60's
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shefflibrar...enfifties/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shefflibrar...enfifties/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shefflibraries/6812234591/
It's almost impossible to tell a 1939 set from a 1946 one without dated documentation, unless it's a completely new design.. Graves seem to have left very little, especially strange when you consider it's impossible to visit Sheffield and not come across the name!!!
Don't know about anybody else.. but I would say the styling there is 100% 1930's Whats the date on the main smoothing cap?.. probably changed.. Mine had one from 1946 fitted. Mark R found the quality of Graves sets last year. A re-cap of a complete basket case and it just worked.. original Mullard Golds too.. very nice. We are seeing a few more turning up now as people realise they are very good quality, and far more scarce and interesting than the 2 a penny DAC90 that for some reason everybody seems to want.






