10-04-2012, 06:44 PM
£55 for the printer - £237 for a set of genuine Dell toner carts:
http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/toner-cartridges/Dell/1250c.html?mv_pc=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=printer_toner
Printers are just honey traps to seduce us, then when they've beguiled us with their charms, they turn into a high maintenance mistress!
The makers know fine well that if they sold them at their true cost, their market would collapse, so they dangle the bait, we take it, and they reel us in. Even a premium brand clone of the Dell carts cost £98.87 from the same supplier. However, that only works out at 1.3p per page compared to the genuine Dell at 3.2p per page. What's the worst thing that could happen in the unlikely event that non-genuine cartridges cause problems. Your printer dies on you. So? You gamble that by saving £139 by buying non-genuine carts that you might risk a £55 printer.
I think that the likes of Dell, HP, Epson will go bust before Cartridge World et al.
Suppose car makers were to sell us cars at a bargian price of £2,000, but tell us we must buy only their brand of petrol or the engine would blow up or the car wouldn't drive well, but we took no notice and bought any old make of fuel, and the engine doesn't blow up and the car runs fine. How many drivers would still buy the 'genuine' fuel? Not perhaps the best analogy, but in the end, virtually giving the printers away and charging astronomical prices for inks and toners available cheaply from other suppliers is an unsustainable business model. Or so it seems to me.
I never print my own photos - claims that my printer, using genuine Epson inks and genuine Epson paper with the printer set on the correct setting will result in prints of 'lab quality' haven't proved to be so. I can pop them on a memory stick and get them printed off while I wait at a photoshop in the village to a much higher standard, and cheaper than feeding my printer's insatiable appetite for ink.
I've mentioned how disappointed I've been with my new Epson Stylus SX535WD printer, which eats cartridges. Having bought two sets of Genuine Epson carts already, I could buy yet more, but instead, I'm awaiting delivery of a full set of four, plus two extra blacks at £16.99. Or I could pay £69 for another set of Epson ones and two extra blacks.
As I write, my printer cheerily tells me that I need to renew black and magenta. Well it has a surprise coming to it - no more Mr Nice Guy, no more champagne and caviar - strictly a bread and water diet of compatible cartridges from now on, and if it acts up, it will follow that well-trodden path to the printer graveyard, where it will find plenty of company!
Rambled and dribbled David.
http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/toner-cartridges/Dell/1250c.html?mv_pc=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=printer_toner
Printers are just honey traps to seduce us, then when they've beguiled us with their charms, they turn into a high maintenance mistress!
The makers know fine well that if they sold them at their true cost, their market would collapse, so they dangle the bait, we take it, and they reel us in. Even a premium brand clone of the Dell carts cost £98.87 from the same supplier. However, that only works out at 1.3p per page compared to the genuine Dell at 3.2p per page. What's the worst thing that could happen in the unlikely event that non-genuine cartridges cause problems. Your printer dies on you. So? You gamble that by saving £139 by buying non-genuine carts that you might risk a £55 printer.
I think that the likes of Dell, HP, Epson will go bust before Cartridge World et al.
Suppose car makers were to sell us cars at a bargian price of £2,000, but tell us we must buy only their brand of petrol or the engine would blow up or the car wouldn't drive well, but we took no notice and bought any old make of fuel, and the engine doesn't blow up and the car runs fine. How many drivers would still buy the 'genuine' fuel? Not perhaps the best analogy, but in the end, virtually giving the printers away and charging astronomical prices for inks and toners available cheaply from other suppliers is an unsustainable business model. Or so it seems to me.
I never print my own photos - claims that my printer, using genuine Epson inks and genuine Epson paper with the printer set on the correct setting will result in prints of 'lab quality' haven't proved to be so. I can pop them on a memory stick and get them printed off while I wait at a photoshop in the village to a much higher standard, and cheaper than feeding my printer's insatiable appetite for ink.
I've mentioned how disappointed I've been with my new Epson Stylus SX535WD printer, which eats cartridges. Having bought two sets of Genuine Epson carts already, I could buy yet more, but instead, I'm awaiting delivery of a full set of four, plus two extra blacks at £16.99. Or I could pay £69 for another set of Epson ones and two extra blacks.
As I write, my printer cheerily tells me that I need to renew black and magenta. Well it has a surprise coming to it - no more Mr Nice Guy, no more champagne and caviar - strictly a bread and water diet of compatible cartridges from now on, and if it acts up, it will follow that well-trodden path to the printer graveyard, where it will find plenty of company!
Rambled and dribbled David.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'








