01-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Update, April 1st, 2012.
After a lot of research within and without the 'Net, I have now answered my own question: "Is this a Pye model MP?". And the answer is no, it isn't: it's a Pye model RS4.
The appearance is very similar (as discussed above), but the real 'give-away' that it was not a model MP was the fact that the MP has 3 wavebands (traditional LW, MW and SW coverage); mine has 4, including two SW bands: 15m. - 50 m. (called 'short') and 60m. to 200m. (called 'med. short').
At present, my camera is not available, but I did find some pictures of the model RS4 on the 'Net: these are below. The condition of mine is broadly comparable to what is seen in these photos - and I also now know for sure that the fitted ECH35 is a 'repair-by-modification': the correct valve is an ECH3.
[attachment=4434][attachment=4435][attachment=4436][attachment=4437]
The style of the cabinet and indeed the chassis is so similar to the MP40 that it does seem very likely that the RS4 was simply the forerunner of the MP model.
Al.
After a lot of research within and without the 'Net, I have now answered my own question: "Is this a Pye model MP?". And the answer is no, it isn't: it's a Pye model RS4.
The appearance is very similar (as discussed above), but the real 'give-away' that it was not a model MP was the fact that the MP has 3 wavebands (traditional LW, MW and SW coverage); mine has 4, including two SW bands: 15m. - 50 m. (called 'short') and 60m. to 200m. (called 'med. short').
At present, my camera is not available, but I did find some pictures of the model RS4 on the 'Net: these are below. The condition of mine is broadly comparable to what is seen in these photos - and I also now know for sure that the fitted ECH35 is a 'repair-by-modification': the correct valve is an ECH3.
[attachment=4434][attachment=4435][attachment=4436][attachment=4437]
The style of the cabinet and indeed the chassis is so similar to the MP40 that it does seem very likely that the RS4 was simply the forerunner of the MP model.
Al.






