19-03-2012, 10:08 PM
A few further thoughts from me.
I've had a fair number of eye-tests over the years at different opticians and as far as I can recall, the assessments and measurements that were made of my eye-sight and eyes were much the same in all of them. But there is one critical aspect of an eye-test that should be considered: feedback from the patient to the examining opthalmist during the examination. ("Which is more in focus? This one or the one before?" "Can you read out the letters on the bottom line", etc.) So, if for any reason that provided feedback contains errors, then the result will probably be a pair of glasses that 'don't work'. And on account of the critical nature of vari-focals over fixed-length lenses, any such errors are likely to be magnified (whoops! Pun not intended!). Indeed, as I write this, I do recall one occasion when I was fitted with a replacement pair of vari-focals, had paid for them, and walked out into the street: I knew, straight away, that something was amiss.
So I went back into the opticians and explained. A new eye-test was arranged, replacement glasses were ordered, subsequently fitted - and then everything 'worked' for my vision, optically speaking. I now recall that at the time of that failed test, I was under a good deal of stress - and I suspect that that contributed to my possible erroneous feedback.
Also I have often found that the actual fit of the glasses to my nose, ears and head is incorrect. I have now learnt to recognise such a defect when I first try them on whilst in the opticians. The usual fix involves adjustments to the frames - often done quickly whilst I wait.
Al.
I've had a fair number of eye-tests over the years at different opticians and as far as I can recall, the assessments and measurements that were made of my eye-sight and eyes were much the same in all of them. But there is one critical aspect of an eye-test that should be considered: feedback from the patient to the examining opthalmist during the examination. ("Which is more in focus? This one or the one before?" "Can you read out the letters on the bottom line", etc.) So, if for any reason that provided feedback contains errors, then the result will probably be a pair of glasses that 'don't work'. And on account of the critical nature of vari-focals over fixed-length lenses, any such errors are likely to be magnified (whoops! Pun not intended!). Indeed, as I write this, I do recall one occasion when I was fitted with a replacement pair of vari-focals, had paid for them, and walked out into the street: I knew, straight away, that something was amiss.
So I went back into the opticians and explained. A new eye-test was arranged, replacement glasses were ordered, subsequently fitted - and then everything 'worked' for my vision, optically speaking. I now recall that at the time of that failed test, I was under a good deal of stress - and I suspect that that contributed to my possible erroneous feedback.Also I have often found that the actual fit of the glasses to my nose, ears and head is incorrect. I have now learnt to recognise such a defect when I first try them on whilst in the opticians. The usual fix involves adjustments to the frames - often done quickly whilst I wait.
Al.






