17-03-2012, 05:56 PM
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2012, 09:50 AM by Radio Fixer.)
Boots may be OK for vari focals Colin. The other big Spec place wasnt for me. I went in for the eye test and its embarrasing walking out and saying you are going somewhere else for the glasses. But next time I wont hesitate... bad way the system is set up. The free test should be set up to be completely independent.
So I let them make me a pair of Vari's with the instruction that they had to be as good as the old pair from the Guys who really know how to make 'em. And Dont talk to you like your an idiot. They were hopeless and I had loads of "We will adjust the arms that will fix it". Of course it didnt...
So back to my old ones... they took 'em away into the back room. "Well these really are top of the range lenses Sir"
"Yeah! I told you they were good... no distortions at the sides... I can drive perfectly in them. And anything not as good was not acceptable".
"Well we can make you a pair like them"
"OK (in short) how much"
To you Sir, being as you have had a lot of trouble about £250"
Ugh! no thanks, I'll have a refund and go elsewhere".
That was 2 years ago and now back to the small man... told him the story. "They are good lenses but nothing extraordinary... we can do more expensive but only thinner and hence lighter. Optically they wont be any different"
"So (in short again) how much"
"£130"
And for a very versatlle pair of glasses they are great. Super for swap meets, exhibitions, museums, TV and short term reading. But as I said before for long tem reading, say an hour or more, to me you cant beat a pair of 'readers'. And for the PC, again for any time a pair of intermediates is best. You dont need to buy these from an opticians if you take the trouble to understand the eye test results. For eyes that are pretty normal, just dwindling, then cheapies off the supermarket work fine.
But do be very careful to stess that you dont want spherical distortions ... they have got to be good when you move your eyeballs to the sides.
BTW IMHO the eye test is better at S. Savers.
Wow! exercised my fingers there Gary
So I let them make me a pair of Vari's with the instruction that they had to be as good as the old pair from the Guys who really know how to make 'em. And Dont talk to you like your an idiot. They were hopeless and I had loads of "We will adjust the arms that will fix it". Of course it didnt...
So back to my old ones... they took 'em away into the back room. "Well these really are top of the range lenses Sir"
"Yeah! I told you they were good... no distortions at the sides... I can drive perfectly in them. And anything not as good was not acceptable".
"Well we can make you a pair like them"
"OK (in short) how much"
To you Sir, being as you have had a lot of trouble about £250"
Ugh! no thanks, I'll have a refund and go elsewhere".
That was 2 years ago and now back to the small man... told him the story. "They are good lenses but nothing extraordinary... we can do more expensive but only thinner and hence lighter. Optically they wont be any different"
"So (in short again) how much"
"£130"
And for a very versatlle pair of glasses they are great. Super for swap meets, exhibitions, museums, TV and short term reading. But as I said before for long tem reading, say an hour or more, to me you cant beat a pair of 'readers'. And for the PC, again for any time a pair of intermediates is best. You dont need to buy these from an opticians if you take the trouble to understand the eye test results. For eyes that are pretty normal, just dwindling, then cheapies off the supermarket work fine.
But do be very careful to stess that you dont want spherical distortions ... they have got to be good when you move your eyeballs to the sides.
BTW IMHO the eye test is better at S. Savers.
Wow! exercised my fingers there Gary







