17-03-2012, 12:02 PM
(17-03-2012, 10:02 AM)Retired Wrote: I will eventually have to change my glasses so would appreciate advice from both you Gary and David as to the best choice; bi-focal or vari-focal?
Kind regards, Col.
I've worn specs since I was 25 when a company eye test highlighted the need for them. When it got to the point at which I needed specs for long and short distance perhaps 20 years ago, varifocals wrre being promotted as a better alternative to bifocals, partly from an appearance aspect, but more importantly because varifocals overcome the sudden jump from the upper to the lower part of the lens and instead, have a smooth transition. I got on really well with them from the outset and I think that anyone who's managed to get used to bi-focals will find varifocals a big improvement.
I didn't find them hard to get used to, but you have to develop the habit (as you do with bi-focals) of glancing down through the lower part of the lenses rather than looking down by lowering your head. I suppose the best description is 'looking down your nose'. (Some people are able to do that as a normal trait, whether or not they wear specs!)
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







