20-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes, thanks Mark.
I can see your viewpoint and normally that would be my unhesitating choice. In retrospect and thinking about it, I now do believe that it all hinges on the state of the rubber-covered wiring. Of what I can see, it's in such a state that very soon it's very likely to disintegrate to dust - and all the problems and damage that will then possibly arise. Now I could take each functional stage, one-by-one, re-wire that stage and do routine fault finding on that stage and run the risks of possible damage to sections not under exam. at that time (hopefully none), and I can appreciate that that may well involve less sheer work in the long-run, but I feel that I will then end up with a result that reflects that method, rather than a tidy rebuild / rewire as if from new.
Now I don't know just how familiar you are with these sets: they're not the easiest sets to work on, especially in this state. I will take some photos. tomorrow, which I am sure will add clarity to my dilemna.
Again, thanks for your thoughts.
Al.
I can see your viewpoint and normally that would be my unhesitating choice. In retrospect and thinking about it, I now do believe that it all hinges on the state of the rubber-covered wiring. Of what I can see, it's in such a state that very soon it's very likely to disintegrate to dust - and all the problems and damage that will then possibly arise. Now I could take each functional stage, one-by-one, re-wire that stage and do routine fault finding on that stage and run the risks of possible damage to sections not under exam. at that time (hopefully none), and I can appreciate that that may well involve less sheer work in the long-run, but I feel that I will then end up with a result that reflects that method, rather than a tidy rebuild / rewire as if from new.
Now I don't know just how familiar you are with these sets: they're not the easiest sets to work on, especially in this state. I will take some photos. tomorrow, which I am sure will add clarity to my dilemna.
Again, thanks for your thoughts.
Al.






