27-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Just a few thoughts that spring to mind Joe.
A church hall would I think be an ideal venue because most of the events, such as Golborne, are fairly small affairs, and as much as anything, are social gatherings. Harpenden and Wooton Basset are of course primarily auctions, though at the Harpy event I attended, there were a few small traders and a Bring & Buy, with 10% commision to BVWS to support the museum. However, Golborne - and the Lowton event that preceded it, don't have an auction but do have a bring & buy, and tables that anyone can book, albeit it is billed as a BVWS event, and thus, has the support and backing of the BVWS, with people such as Mike Barker in attendance, and 405 line TV displays. From past experience, some who take the tables are private individuals, and others are what might be termed 'traders' but only in a small way. Some sell valves and components, others sell radios and related items.
The BVWS store is literally bursting at the seams with radios from estates, with many more due in, so at the last Golborne, Mike Barker (BVWS Chairman) was selling off many portable transistor and battery valve receivers at £2.00 each. True, battery portables don't in any event command high prices due to the battery issue, and the fact that they tend to be nondescript rexine-covered wooden boxes which have seen better days, but at £2.00 a go, you can't really go wrong. I got a Bush TR82 and Roberts R200, both of which were scruffy, but to my surprise when I got them home, worked fine. Maybe Mike would be interested in supplying a batch of radios and even he or another BVWS luminary supporting the event?
If you do indeed go ahead with an event some time in 2012, it might be worth asking if the BVWS would support it in some way. It's worth bearing in mind the calendar dates for other events so your event doesn't clash. Those in the latest BVWS Bulletin are:
4 March - Harpenden
13 May, NVCF Warwick
9 June BVWS Garden Party at Gerry Wells
10 June Harpenden
1 July - Wooton Bassett
23 Sept Harpenden
2 Dec Wooton Bassett.
Looking at those dates, maybe mid Feb would be a good time? Hopefully, if we have a year like this year, the snow will just about have disappeared and the roads will be clear by then!
If you are indeed serious about running an event, maybe Mark could give you quite a few valuable pointers? Obviously there's a lot to think about as I'm sure you appreciate - publicity, getting stallholders to commit, door staff to collect any entrance fee, catering, pot washing, parking, maybe managing a queue of those who turn up early, as many do, pulic liabilty insurance, access for getting stuff in and out etc etc. I really take my hat off to people such as Mark, who organise these events - it does seem to me a very selfless thing to do on top of all the other pressures that life throws at us - especially those who are working and have families.
Mind you, Mark's got his little helper - Freya - she sorts everyone out:D
One little local outfit who would I think consider attending a Sheffield event is Wilf - Bowood Electronics. He's a great guy who I'm sure you will know from many years ago at Bardy's.
A church hall would I think be an ideal venue because most of the events, such as Golborne, are fairly small affairs, and as much as anything, are social gatherings. Harpenden and Wooton Basset are of course primarily auctions, though at the Harpy event I attended, there were a few small traders and a Bring & Buy, with 10% commision to BVWS to support the museum. However, Golborne - and the Lowton event that preceded it, don't have an auction but do have a bring & buy, and tables that anyone can book, albeit it is billed as a BVWS event, and thus, has the support and backing of the BVWS, with people such as Mike Barker in attendance, and 405 line TV displays. From past experience, some who take the tables are private individuals, and others are what might be termed 'traders' but only in a small way. Some sell valves and components, others sell radios and related items.
The BVWS store is literally bursting at the seams with radios from estates, with many more due in, so at the last Golborne, Mike Barker (BVWS Chairman) was selling off many portable transistor and battery valve receivers at £2.00 each. True, battery portables don't in any event command high prices due to the battery issue, and the fact that they tend to be nondescript rexine-covered wooden boxes which have seen better days, but at £2.00 a go, you can't really go wrong. I got a Bush TR82 and Roberts R200, both of which were scruffy, but to my surprise when I got them home, worked fine. Maybe Mike would be interested in supplying a batch of radios and even he or another BVWS luminary supporting the event?
If you do indeed go ahead with an event some time in 2012, it might be worth asking if the BVWS would support it in some way. It's worth bearing in mind the calendar dates for other events so your event doesn't clash. Those in the latest BVWS Bulletin are:
4 March - Harpenden
13 May, NVCF Warwick
9 June BVWS Garden Party at Gerry Wells
10 June Harpenden
1 July - Wooton Bassett
23 Sept Harpenden
2 Dec Wooton Bassett.
Looking at those dates, maybe mid Feb would be a good time? Hopefully, if we have a year like this year, the snow will just about have disappeared and the roads will be clear by then!
If you are indeed serious about running an event, maybe Mark could give you quite a few valuable pointers? Obviously there's a lot to think about as I'm sure you appreciate - publicity, getting stallholders to commit, door staff to collect any entrance fee, catering, pot washing, parking, maybe managing a queue of those who turn up early, as many do, pulic liabilty insurance, access for getting stuff in and out etc etc. I really take my hat off to people such as Mark, who organise these events - it does seem to me a very selfless thing to do on top of all the other pressures that life throws at us - especially those who are working and have families.
Mind you, Mark's got his little helper - Freya - she sorts everyone out:D
One little local outfit who would I think consider attending a Sheffield event is Wilf - Bowood Electronics. He's a great guy who I'm sure you will know from many years ago at Bardy's.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







