25-09-2011, 02:37 PM
We're quite lucky as there's a splendid model boat lake to the East of Hull about 8 miles from here. On Tuesday afternoons and Saturdays there are several members of the local model boat group get togther to sail their boats, but anyone can go there, and during the week the lake is little used. It's really quite large - I've attached a pic taken last Friday, of my son operating the boat, which give an idea of the size of the lake. The kit was modelled on an actual Thames Fire Boat, and is about 3ft long and 8 or 9 inches wide. It was made from beech ply and spruce spars, but nowadays they all seem to be either GRP hulls or balsa wood of all things. I can understand using balsa for model plane airframes where lightness is an issue, but it seems quite unsuited to boats, as compared to beech ply.
Well Tony, I've shown my boat - what about giving us all a viewing of the splendid fort that you've recently built for your lucky grandson, which would gladden any boy's eye!
David
Well Tony, I've shown my boat - what about giving us all a viewing of the splendid fort that you've recently built for your lucky grandson, which would gladden any boy's eye!
David







