27-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi,
Thanks for a very valid question Andrew and as Roger says the tyres have to be bought and fitted but is this really a downside?
I bought my winter tyres and had them fitted to a spare pair of steel wheels this being a one off cost. Now all I need to do is fit them by simply jacking the car up at the onset of winter and remove them the following April this is done at home. We plan to keep with the same model of vehicle otherwise it would mean buying a pair of different sized tyres should we change from the Aygo?
Wear and tear is roughly balanced because whilst the winter tyres are fitted the standard tyres are unused although winter tyres do wear more quickly than standard tyres. My winter tyres should easily last over five winters so the actual cost of the tyres and steel wheels spread over this period works out at just over £25 per winter but even this is reduced because the standard tyres are not being used.
The benefits are many though. how much would a single slide and collision cost in insurance plus how long would the vehicle be off the road just at the busiest time of such accidents and what about the sheer inconvenience of such a collision. A vehicle could also be abandoned leaving it at the side of the road in good condition but another vehicle could slide into it. Abandoned vehicles also prevent the snow ploughs and gritters doing a good job.
Looking at the dozens of abandoned vehicles up our lane last winter really brought it home to me just how much safer and convenient it is to have winter tyres fitted; as I drove past on sheet ice I bet every one of the people who were walking after abandoning their vehicle wished they were in my position.
When I bought my winter tyres I did a lot of web surfing for information and read many reviews; after all I'm a tight Yorkshireman who wants value for money. Some people actually leave the winter tyres on all year round and I can understand this as I noticed on dry tarmac the winter tyres gave increased grip and traction.
The problem with standard tyres is that once the temperature drops to below seven degrees the tyre rubber become harder whereas winter tyres are made of a different rubber compound allowing them to remain soft and they also have silica included in the compound.
I very much understand such a one off outlay on something that would only be used for certain months of the year is off putting because I struggled for many years without fitting winter tyres. It's already been mentioned that location plays a part; I live on a steep valley side and all around Huddersfield it is very hilly so winter tyres really are a must especially after last winter which was severe and the council running out of rock salt and grit leaving the roads like skating rinks.
How many people think absolutely nothing of spending £25 on a night out or on things such as holidays and the latest must have gizmo's but then have to abandon their vehicles in winter?
One thing worth mentioning is snow chains. I bought a set from eBay and shudder to think I would have to fit these in anger whilst my hands were frozen at the side of a road covered in ice and snow with vehicles passing in close proximity; I found it very difficult fitting these chains to the brand new snow tyres as an experiment even though the tyres were sitting on the bench; thankfully the chains were not needed and the winter tyres did a brilliant job.
One morning I set off to Morrison's supermarket driving on fresh snow that had fallen on sheet ice; our neighbours also set off to go to work but I was the only one to return in a non four wheel drive; all my neighbours cars were abandoned overnight.
I thought it worthwhile adding this thread as a timely reminder and with my luck no doubt next winter will be very mild but if not I'm ready for ice and snow should it arrive and I'll also buy a bag of rock salt for use around the bungalow before this too gets sold out. I hope this thread is of interest; I should have bought winter tyres years ago.
Please see the following and it's worth scrolling down to "7 reasons to consider winter tyres".
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/201...-Guide.htm
Kind regards, Col.
Thanks for a very valid question Andrew and as Roger says the tyres have to be bought and fitted but is this really a downside?
I bought my winter tyres and had them fitted to a spare pair of steel wheels this being a one off cost. Now all I need to do is fit them by simply jacking the car up at the onset of winter and remove them the following April this is done at home. We plan to keep with the same model of vehicle otherwise it would mean buying a pair of different sized tyres should we change from the Aygo?
Wear and tear is roughly balanced because whilst the winter tyres are fitted the standard tyres are unused although winter tyres do wear more quickly than standard tyres. My winter tyres should easily last over five winters so the actual cost of the tyres and steel wheels spread over this period works out at just over £25 per winter but even this is reduced because the standard tyres are not being used.
The benefits are many though. how much would a single slide and collision cost in insurance plus how long would the vehicle be off the road just at the busiest time of such accidents and what about the sheer inconvenience of such a collision. A vehicle could also be abandoned leaving it at the side of the road in good condition but another vehicle could slide into it. Abandoned vehicles also prevent the snow ploughs and gritters doing a good job.
Looking at the dozens of abandoned vehicles up our lane last winter really brought it home to me just how much safer and convenient it is to have winter tyres fitted; as I drove past on sheet ice I bet every one of the people who were walking after abandoning their vehicle wished they were in my position.
When I bought my winter tyres I did a lot of web surfing for information and read many reviews; after all I'm a tight Yorkshireman who wants value for money. Some people actually leave the winter tyres on all year round and I can understand this as I noticed on dry tarmac the winter tyres gave increased grip and traction.
The problem with standard tyres is that once the temperature drops to below seven degrees the tyre rubber become harder whereas winter tyres are made of a different rubber compound allowing them to remain soft and they also have silica included in the compound.
I very much understand such a one off outlay on something that would only be used for certain months of the year is off putting because I struggled for many years without fitting winter tyres. It's already been mentioned that location plays a part; I live on a steep valley side and all around Huddersfield it is very hilly so winter tyres really are a must especially after last winter which was severe and the council running out of rock salt and grit leaving the roads like skating rinks.
How many people think absolutely nothing of spending £25 on a night out or on things such as holidays and the latest must have gizmo's but then have to abandon their vehicles in winter?
One thing worth mentioning is snow chains. I bought a set from eBay and shudder to think I would have to fit these in anger whilst my hands were frozen at the side of a road covered in ice and snow with vehicles passing in close proximity; I found it very difficult fitting these chains to the brand new snow tyres as an experiment even though the tyres were sitting on the bench; thankfully the chains were not needed and the winter tyres did a brilliant job.
One morning I set off to Morrison's supermarket driving on fresh snow that had fallen on sheet ice; our neighbours also set off to go to work but I was the only one to return in a non four wheel drive; all my neighbours cars were abandoned overnight.
I thought it worthwhile adding this thread as a timely reminder and with my luck no doubt next winter will be very mild but if not I'm ready for ice and snow should it arrive and I'll also buy a bag of rock salt for use around the bungalow before this too gets sold out. I hope this thread is of interest; I should have bought winter tyres years ago.
Please see the following and it's worth scrolling down to "7 reasons to consider winter tyres".
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/201...-Guide.htm
Kind regards, Col.






