14-07-2011, 06:16 PM
(14-07-2011, 06:01 PM)OldTickTock Wrote: Until I saw what Alan B did recently with the knob brights I would have said they would be of little use for radio TV restores. I stand corrected.
Oddly enough, there's a Pye R33 on e-bay (well more than one actually), which has two knob brights missing, with no bids and what to my mind, seems to be an unrealistic 'buy it now' price. I've heard so many 'war stories' about radios damaged in transist, that if it's too far to collect personally, I don't bother. In fact I've never bought a radio off e-bay for that reason.
It's easy enough to make new brights by making a shaped die punch and mating partner on the lathe, then to skim them to size on the lathe, held in the die between the headstock and tailstock, then polish them on the lathe and a copule of coats of clear lacquer. Not a five minute job, but knobs minus their brights really do spoil the appearance of a set, and any Roberts collectors will testifiy.
Thanks for the kind comments gents!
Lathes are handy for all sorts of little jobs - making knobs, spindle couplers and various bits of metalwork such as pillar spacers and threaded inserts.
David







