10-07-2011, 07:30 PM
It's certainly a fact that many devices which we use would make no sound at all unless the sound had been 'manufactured' to make us think we have heard a mechanical keyclick. Mobile phones, cameras, those touch screen terminals that delivery wallahs use which have a stylo to sign your name on a screen, the end result of which looks like 'etch-a-sketch'.
One sound I wish they would make much louder is that of car indicators. I have good hearing, but most of the cars I drive, whether my own, my wife's or hire cars, seem to have quiet clicks, and not very bright panel indicator lights. True, they self cancel when turning a corner, but not when pulling out to overtake, or exiting via a slip road. Of course, we are supposed to engage our brains too, and to concentrate on our driving!
When I rode a motorbike, which I sold a couple of years ago, the indicators weren't self-cancelling, so I fitted an oscillator with a little amp and speaker powered from each front winker. Thus, whenever the winker was on, a loud 800Hz tone came out of the speaker which I could hear with my helmet on.
Very crucial to ensure that winkers are cancelled, and even more so on a motorbike, because if your LH winker is still on but you intened to drive stright ahead, somone may drive out af a side road into your path. No airbags on a motorbike!
David
One sound I wish they would make much louder is that of car indicators. I have good hearing, but most of the cars I drive, whether my own, my wife's or hire cars, seem to have quiet clicks, and not very bright panel indicator lights. True, they self cancel when turning a corner, but not when pulling out to overtake, or exiting via a slip road. Of course, we are supposed to engage our brains too, and to concentrate on our driving!
When I rode a motorbike, which I sold a couple of years ago, the indicators weren't self-cancelling, so I fitted an oscillator with a little amp and speaker powered from each front winker. Thus, whenever the winker was on, a loud 800Hz tone came out of the speaker which I could hear with my helmet on.
Very crucial to ensure that winkers are cancelled, and even more so on a motorbike, because if your LH winker is still on but you intened to drive stright ahead, somone may drive out af a side road into your path. No airbags on a motorbike!
David







