09-07-2011, 09:17 AM
(09-07-2011, 12:17 AM)AlanBeckett Wrote: ... It's the old story, for example with cars; 'I'm protected by my Seat belt, air bags, side impact bars, radial tyres, ABS and Traction Control so why worry?'. When I look at the way a lot of people drive these days I'm not surprised that Insurance Premiums are rising.
I recall a Police accident investigator saying there's no such thing as 'accidents' - only 'incidents' and that in fact is what the police now refer to them as. The officer sad that in his vew, motorists are basically selfish, care nly about their skin - not other rad users and feel impregnable in safefey cages,crumple zones, ABS braking, air bags, seat belts, and he suggested that that if all of these devices were removed, and instead, a 6 inch spike fitted to the centre of the steering wheel, so-called 'accidents' would plummet as any risks would then be based only on Darwin's theory of the 'non-survival of the stuplidest'.
But we do occasionally get complacent and tired and make silly mistakes. Last year I got a 500V belt off a voltage doubler in a capacitor reformer, and boy, did that liven me up. Luckily it's 'Volts that jolts - Mils that kills'. Ordinarily I'm so cautious that not only do I switch stuff off that I'm working on, I disconnect it. I'm too young to die, and too old for nasty shocks, so it remains fresh in my mind.
Whoooeeee!
David







