02-07-2011, 09:53 AM
The ones like you were shown seem to be the favourites as the have long leads and also look the part as well as being top quality.
It's for you to decide how much 'Authenticity' matters to you and how much trouble you want to go to make the insides look pretty.
I tend to go for polyester film capacitors which are often bright orange (waits to hear distant howls of anguish). When buying blind you're taking a chance on the lead length but I don't mind lengthening them.
'Block' type ones are more box-shaped and also tend to have short leads.
[attachment=2339]
What I do is look at suppliers catalogues and stock up on anything that's cheap. This means that things don't match within a radio but that doesn't bother me. If you're changing the old wax-type capacitors you can fillet them and hide the new ones inside the tube.
By the way, 'Radial' means both leads at one end and 'Axial' means one at each.
As ever, it's 'Each to their own' and you have to do make your own decision on the balance between price, quality, looks and ease of supply. Maplin's have really slashed their range of components and you'll be lucky to find much there.
It's certainly worth changing them, in my opinion, as I've found that for all that a set may initially work these other components quickly fail. Besides that it's a good way to learn. Do them one at a time and test between each one so if you do make a mistake you'll know where.
I know this isn't a definitive answer but we all have our own ideas. Put it this way, if your happy to pay for those Steve pointed you to you'll be fine but other options are available.
All the best
-Joe
It's for you to decide how much 'Authenticity' matters to you and how much trouble you want to go to make the insides look pretty.
I tend to go for polyester film capacitors which are often bright orange (waits to hear distant howls of anguish). When buying blind you're taking a chance on the lead length but I don't mind lengthening them.
'Block' type ones are more box-shaped and also tend to have short leads.
[attachment=2339]
What I do is look at suppliers catalogues and stock up on anything that's cheap. This means that things don't match within a radio but that doesn't bother me. If you're changing the old wax-type capacitors you can fillet them and hide the new ones inside the tube.
By the way, 'Radial' means both leads at one end and 'Axial' means one at each.
As ever, it's 'Each to their own' and you have to do make your own decision on the balance between price, quality, looks and ease of supply. Maplin's have really slashed their range of components and you'll be lucky to find much there.
It's certainly worth changing them, in my opinion, as I've found that for all that a set may initially work these other components quickly fail. Besides that it's a good way to learn. Do them one at a time and test between each one so if you do make a mistake you'll know where.
I know this isn't a definitive answer but we all have our own ideas. Put it this way, if your happy to pay for those Steve pointed you to you'll be fine but other options are available.
All the best
-Joe






