21-03-2011, 04:07 PM
'£250 plus! I had to sit down quietly and have a small brandy when I read that. '
Unfortunately, Alan, that's the sort of lower limit around. Even with those that start out seemingly cheap, by the time you add things like a chuck (let's face it, useful) and a motor (hard to pedal a lathe) and other apparent non-essentials like the toolpost or the tailstock, up goes the cost.
Obtaining an old lathe is OK if you have the space - most used and old lathes are BIG.
I've visited the Model Engineer's Exhibition a year or so back with the aim of obtaining a lathes, but the prices shocked me and all I actually bought were a few hand tools and a large sheet of aluminium!
If you know of anyone with a bench-top lathe in fair order for a reasonable cost, please let me know.
-Tony
Unfortunately, Alan, that's the sort of lower limit around. Even with those that start out seemingly cheap, by the time you add things like a chuck (let's face it, useful) and a motor (hard to pedal a lathe) and other apparent non-essentials like the toolpost or the tailstock, up goes the cost.
Obtaining an old lathe is OK if you have the space - most used and old lathes are BIG.
I've visited the Model Engineer's Exhibition a year or so back with the aim of obtaining a lathes, but the prices shocked me and all I actually bought were a few hand tools and a large sheet of aluminium!
If you know of anyone with a bench-top lathe in fair order for a reasonable cost, please let me know.
-Tony







