22-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Well done Col, good machine and a satisfying achievement.
I was lucky enough to find a belt sander in a skip a few years back !! We still had the business going then and there was a fabrication company next door who were having a clear out. Checking through the skip one afternoon I first found a load, and I mean a load, of large semiconductor power rectifiers and massive, low value dropper resistors, at least 300 watt rating, all brand new in boxes ! Then I found a 4" belt sander that seemed fine. The boss saw me, who I was on 1st name terms with, and asked what I wanted with all that junk ! Turned out the diodes and resistors were spares for a machine they no longer had and the belt sander was faulty, although he couldn't remember how. Anyway, he said take it all with my compliments.
There was a fault on the sander, the fuse had blown in the plug ! I checked it through for safety and couldn't find anything wrong, so I assume it must have been overloaded at some point. Still works fine now.
The other stuff is "in stock", although I use a couple of the big resistors as test loads. One of them has a variable tapping which is very useful.
I was lucky enough to find a belt sander in a skip a few years back !! We still had the business going then and there was a fabrication company next door who were having a clear out. Checking through the skip one afternoon I first found a load, and I mean a load, of large semiconductor power rectifiers and massive, low value dropper resistors, at least 300 watt rating, all brand new in boxes ! Then I found a 4" belt sander that seemed fine. The boss saw me, who I was on 1st name terms with, and asked what I wanted with all that junk ! Turned out the diodes and resistors were spares for a machine they no longer had and the belt sander was faulty, although he couldn't remember how. Anyway, he said take it all with my compliments.
There was a fault on the sander, the fuse had blown in the plug ! I checked it through for safety and couldn't find anything wrong, so I assume it must have been overloaded at some point. Still works fine now.
The other stuff is "in stock", although I use a couple of the big resistors as test loads. One of them has a variable tapping which is very useful.






