31-05-2025, 08:10 AM
I find that using a regular bit is fine. I prefer to use the larger sizes of SMD components as I use naked eye and touch rather than a magnifier most of the time (noting that I am generally building new rather than repairing). I learnt my approach through YouTube videos. Some of the techniques almost look cowboy'ish but practice seems to indicate to me that quick and clean with a larger bit is far better than getting finicky and botching it. A small bit has far less heat capacity anyway and would probably not hold the solder for my technique on multi pinned IC's. As usual practice promoting confidence is the key. The use of liquid flux was a revelation and I wouldn't be without it now. I also do diagonal corners with IC's rather than fixing the component down. I use my thumbnail to hold components down while soldering the first joint but you need a good nail and steady hand as the hot iron is millimetres away so I wouldn't recommend it. Good tweezers work with practice. After soldering I use isopropyl with a toothbrush to clean the joints of excess flux then a hand magnifier to inspect each joint. Most issues show up on this inspection.







