30-11-2023, 02:34 PM
You are of course correct. It's tape output not speaker output.
Anyway, I can report progress - of a sort. Your observations about the gram input prompted me to replace it with one George Christofi was kind enough to give me some time back. Result - the radio immediately fired up. The old input was clearly defective. Withdrawing the long reach phono plug did not restore the radio signal and what I assumed to be a very faint signal was possibly crosstalk. Whatever, we now have a fully functioning radio. Well, almost.
After half an hour of Radio Three, the 120 ohm series resistor decided to give up the ghost. I replaced it with a 10 watt 180 ohm wirewound I had to hand. It failed within minutes. I have no more suitable wirewounds available and will have to send off for some. But we appear to to have exchanged a radio problem for a power supply one.
Before I order anything, it would be useful to have your thoughts on (a) what could be causing the resistors to fail and (b) what value I should be going for, given that the HT is a little high.
Anyway, I can report progress - of a sort. Your observations about the gram input prompted me to replace it with one George Christofi was kind enough to give me some time back. Result - the radio immediately fired up. The old input was clearly defective. Withdrawing the long reach phono plug did not restore the radio signal and what I assumed to be a very faint signal was possibly crosstalk. Whatever, we now have a fully functioning radio. Well, almost.
After half an hour of Radio Three, the 120 ohm series resistor decided to give up the ghost. I replaced it with a 10 watt 180 ohm wirewound I had to hand. It failed within minutes. I have no more suitable wirewounds available and will have to send off for some. But we appear to to have exchanged a radio problem for a power supply one.
Before I order anything, it would be useful to have your thoughts on (a) what could be causing the resistors to fail and (b) what value I should be going for, given that the HT is a little high.






