24-10-2023, 08:51 AM
(This post was last modified: 24-10-2023, 08:55 AM by Mike Watterson.)
(24-10-2023, 07:41 AM)Sinewave Wrote: To be honest, I do have an AVO valve tester, I've never used it, so we can easily manage without one....A good DVM and the little grey cells. Even the scope doesn't get much use for vintage restores. A vintage TV needs it the most. Used more for designing stuff. Hardly use the Grid dip meter (but it's misnamed as it has no valves). I'd use the spectrum analyser more than scope. The uTracer was interesting and more use than the borrowed AVO VCM163 for the rod pentodes (I used a separate filament supply). So I'd only see a use for valve tester if buying a lot of valves and reselling new gear regularly.
The signal generator is more use than scope or valve tester, especially during the daytime or on a multiband set. I had 455 / 10.7 Wobbulator and gave it away. Again it's more use on a production line than for repair or design work.







