27-11-2016, 09:30 AM
I read an article in an old Elektor (April 78 issue # 36) recently which showed a way to reduce the inductance of a WW resistor as used as a dummy load say. See pic - 36r should of coarse be 32r.
The way this is supposed to work is that if we get a WW resistor with a centre tap and connect it as shown in the pic, current flows in opposite directions each half of the resistor, so the magnetic fields produced in each half ( and hence the self inductance) tend to cancel out.
I've tried this but could'nt produce meaningful results as I was using a Marconi TF2700 bridge
and could verify the inductance readings I got. It might be easier with an automatic bridge, or modern L meter.
I wondered if this would work with two separate R's of equal value and make/type.
What do you think, is the method valid? Andy
The way this is supposed to work is that if we get a WW resistor with a centre tap and connect it as shown in the pic, current flows in opposite directions each half of the resistor, so the magnetic fields produced in each half ( and hence the self inductance) tend to cancel out.
I've tried this but could'nt produce meaningful results as I was using a Marconi TF2700 bridge
and could verify the inductance readings I got. It might be easier with an automatic bridge, or modern L meter.
I wondered if this would work with two separate R's of equal value and make/type.
What do you think, is the method valid? Andy








