24-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Been missing for a while (illness)
I've picked up on a HMV2028 record player that had a couple of problems that I was looking at a couple of months back.
Cartridge had expired so I've replaced that, also the tone arm wiring due to the cart connectors being trashed & not enough length left to repair properly
Got a healthy output now both on cartridge & the "tape & radio" inputs.
BUT....there's a distinct lack of bass.....loads of treble but probably 30/40% less bass than I would have expected
The speaker (16 ohm originally) has been replaced by a previous owner with a cheap looking modernish 8 ohm one.
I'm wondering if it's worth trying to track down a 16 ohm original spec as I'm not sure how tolerant the amp (AC128/176 output stage) is of the load differential & if it would make that much difference sound wise anyway ?
The there's the hum/buzz (sounds around 50hz) that will need looking at later
Dick.
I've picked up on a HMV2028 record player that had a couple of problems that I was looking at a couple of months back.
Cartridge had expired so I've replaced that, also the tone arm wiring due to the cart connectors being trashed & not enough length left to repair properly
Got a healthy output now both on cartridge & the "tape & radio" inputs.
BUT....there's a distinct lack of bass.....loads of treble but probably 30/40% less bass than I would have expected
The speaker (16 ohm originally) has been replaced by a previous owner with a cheap looking modernish 8 ohm one.
I'm wondering if it's worth trying to track down a 16 ohm original spec as I'm not sure how tolerant the amp (AC128/176 output stage) is of the load differential & if it would make that much difference sound wise anyway ?
The there's the hum/buzz (sounds around 50hz) that will need looking at later
Dick.
I was there when Rock & Roll was born & Rock & Roll will be with me till the day I die.









