06-04-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm currently working on an FM tuner and the main PSU electrolytic needs replacing. I've tried re-forming but at least one section of the cap remains leaky and it runs too hot. It is a four-section electrolytic - 2 x 40uF, 2 x 20uF all 350V. Because it uses circuit boards, the chassis is not deep so there is no room for putting replacement caps underneath. I can't really stuff the existing can as I can't fit four replacement caps into it.
I went hunting and all I could find as a candidate replacement is a 4 x 40uF cap 350V. My question is would I get away with the increased capacitance for the two sections that should be 20uF? I've attached a picture of the power supply and one or two of the tuner itself. The item marked C32 on the drawing is the cap in question. From left to right they are the 2 x 40uF then the 2 x 20uF.
All advice gratefully received.
Cheers, John
I went hunting and all I could find as a candidate replacement is a 4 x 40uF cap 350V. My question is would I get away with the increased capacitance for the two sections that should be 20uF? I've attached a picture of the power supply and one or two of the tuner itself. The item marked C32 on the drawing is the cap in question. From left to right they are the 2 x 40uF then the 2 x 20uF.
All advice gratefully received.
Cheers, John
Time flies like an arrow, fruitflies like a banana!







